What's new

Adire Bahama (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Actually, while you may use much of your available power and Pe just overcoming the small box, the displacement, and consequent ultimate SPL potential at a given frequency, is the same regardless of box size (unless the box is so small that Pe is reached before Xmax down deep).
Ah, guess I should have read some of those LT threads before I started mouthing off about it. Can you explain quickly the idea behind why the extra power used can flatten the response but doesn't require more excursion. I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that you are pumping loads of power into the driver, but the excursion isn't going up when doing so.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
In a box this small (16" cube, or probably ~40 liters), 1500w won't drive a Tumult to its excursion limit (maybe 50-70% of it, says Unibox). But it will be enough for absurd output above 40Hz, and still way more than the Velodyne under that. Depending on how much power the voice coil can take, you could take full advantage of the displacement with a ~2500w amp.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Can you explain quickly the idea behind why the extra power used can flatten the response but doesn't require more excursion. I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea that you are pumping loads of power into the driver, but the excursion isn't going up when doing so.
Displacement of a driver determines ultimate SPL at a given frequency. A driver can move a given amount of air at xmax, regardless of how much power we put into it. Box size determines the sensitivity of a driver at that frequency (you can see how sensitivity goes down in the deep bass as Vb gets smaller). In the LT spreadsheet, you are asking the driver to maintain a specific curve at a certain level, so, as Vb goes down, power required goes up (but excursion stays the same, as you can see).

In a nutshell, Xmax determines SPL, but Vb determines the wattage required to get to Xmax.

The LT itself tends to require more excursion than an un-eq'd box, since we're requiring the driver to stay flat deeper.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Randy,
I'm pretty sure that Adire could accomplish this. I just imagine it isn't much of a priority for them at the moment. But you know I'm always willing to build you something! Might even give you a little discount! ;) One of these days you might even decide on a pair of speakers!
Brian
P.S. BTW, just finished a pair of oak cabinets with my full veneer wrap. Can you say NO SEAM! Now if I can do the same with maple and cherry...

Arron H

Second Unit
So, it sounds like the Tumult will not be a new sub offering from Adire but that Acoustic Visions and others will be building them as a custom job?

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
The Tumult is the name of the driver itself and was designed by Adire audio (with input from members of HTF) and available through Acoustic Visions. As Jack said, you can buy the driver alone, a kit, or a finished sub

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks