What's new

Adire Bahama (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that Kris will be quite happy with the Dharman...it's only 7 times the size of the HGS-10.
You might also consider the Rava (same Shiva driver). It comes in at $400 and is smaller than the Dharman. Two main differences between the two (other than cost): the Dharman is ported, which the Rave is not; and the Dharman has more powerful amplifier. The performance differences are (this from Adire) the Dharman has a lower extension than the Rava, and will fill a larger room.

You might like to send Adire an e-mail with your room specifications. They were quite helpful and prompt in responding to my inquiries.

Anny Chien

Agent
The Brahma sub is pretty loud in the car and overwhelms most car audio systems when all of us put it in our cars. We stuck with our Image Dynamics IDMAX 12

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Kris, can you give us some maximum dimensions to work with? Just because you use a 15" driver doesn't mean the box has to be 10ft^3. You can try a little shiny box but it'll cost you.

Kris Keen

Agent
im at work at the moment so no dimensions, im moving into a new unit next Wed so ill post them then..

cost is fine, as long as its under $2500 AUD

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

The first thing that came to mind was a Tumult (Adire's up and coming 15" sub for those that don't know) in a 16" external cube with an LT and the HS500 amp. Should give those "cute" little "subs" an ass-whoopin'!

Other than that, an SV10 in a super small enclosure with an LT and possibly the PE 250W amp would be nice.

Anyone know what $2500 in Down Under Bucks is in USD?

Brian

Kris Keen

Agent
$1381 USD = $2500 AUD.

Honestly, a 15" is simply too big for my room, no matter what. 12" is total max.. i think its easier just to bite the bullet and get a HGS10

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Brian, I agree about the Tumult though I'd probably use a slightly larger box. If that's too big, then a Blueprint 03 or Brahma would be the next choices. I tend to go along with the "less equalization is better" school of thought.

Kris, if you could stuff a 15" driver in a 16" cube would that be OK? I don't think you should be thinking in terms of driver size, but rather enclosure size. A 15" Brahma in an LT enclosure for example, would be smaller than a Rava (12" driver). And especially if you're going with a small size, you'll have to determine which is more important, extension or output.

Kris Keen

Agent
I had a F series Velodyne 12" it was way too big...not sure how big the enclousure on those are... 16" sounds smaller than the Velodynes...
Blueprint 03? that is? pardon my ignorance, im a total newbie :frowning:

Kris Keen

Agent
Found the Blueprint, looks rather funky.. would be nice to showcase the rear of it, say polishing it up or somethign! perhaps like a window into the box... funky :)
16" box is fine...

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
My suggestion for Kris is a 10" Brahma with a HS500 for power. 10" high excursion driver, 720 watts into 4 ohm, parametric EQ, small box...fits all of his requirements. I would also suggest a 12" Brahma in a slightly larger box but still within the 16" maximum limit. Don't discount the Brahma because it was designed for car usage, with a little EQ on the bottom end and enough power it can make a great space-saving home theater sub.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

I agree that a larger box would be better (I'm going with an 18" cube myself) but Dan did suggest the 16" box himself so we know it could work well!

Kyle,

BTW, are we still on track for pre-orders to start tomorrow or will it be a few more days?

Brian

Kris Keen

Agent
Kyle

Can you give me a rough price for a cabinet/amp/driver for this setup?

a Finish isnt required..

Cheers

Arron H

Second Unit
The first thing that came to mind was a Tumult (Adire's up and coming 15" sub for those that don't know) in a 16" external cube with an LT and the HS500 amp. Should give those "cute" little "subs" an ass-whoopin'!
Wow, this sub sounds interesting. Do you know when it will be available? How much? Will it match the Dharman's performance?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, the Tumult and Shiva (driver used in the Dharman and Rava) are two very different drivers.

A Shiva is a 12" driver and can displace about 1.5L linearly. The Tumult is a 15" driver and will be able to displace over 5L linearly. The Tumult also uses Adire's new XBL^2 motor topology.

But in a tiny cube most of that 5L will have to go to equalization to get a flat response. So even being so limited by a tiny box it will likely still outperform a Dharman (so it will outperform a Velodyne HGS15) but it won't be cheap either. Almost $400 for the driver, at least another $400 for the amp and then box and construction materials as well (and labor for Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio to build you one if you can't).

Put it in a 6ft^3 box with a pair of Styrke 18" PRs driven by a kilowatt and watch out. That will be a scarry sub.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Aaron,
What Dustin said is correct, they are so completely different enclosures it is hard to compare but the Tumult should still come out a winner. Put both drivers in optimum sized/tuned enclosures and it wont even be a contest. But even though it wont be contest the Shiva still costs 1/3 the price of the Tumult.
Tumult will be ready for a preorder any day and the price will be in the mid $300 range.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I wonder if Adire will sell a finished subwoofer based on the Tumult? They could probably hit the $1000 mark for a sealed box version. A PR version would be real interesting at maybe $1500. The only limiting factor would be the amplifier, although they could sell it as passive and bundle something like a QSC RMX1450.

Kris, my recommendation for you is to either buy a Velodyne HGS-12 or build a LTed Tumult with a gigantic amplifier.

Randy G

Second Unit
Kris,

I had one, then two HGS-10s stacked on top of each other. They were great little subs(no problems whatsoever), and in my condo, they could really rock the boat. Unfortunately, they were US$1800 for the pair(my friend is a dealer), which even at THAT price felt uncomfortably high...for the performance. But I wanted SMALL in a bad way. I've since sold both 10s, and will replace with an HGS-12(14'x14x14.5")...which I'll probably get for around US$1100-1300. From all of my reading, I would have thought that one of the Internet direct sellers would have come out with something comparable(self-powered, equalized, price, performance, & small size) for less money than what Velo charges, but it ain't happened yet. Shows how difficult it must really be to accomplish.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread