What's new

Adire Bahama (1 Viewer)

Kris Keen

Agent
Hi All
I'm looking at a new subwoofer, prereq's are small, tight, compact, plenty of oompf! and something that likes 20hz :)
I was looking at the Velodyne HGS-10 Series II but it seems like these DIY projects are a real winner.. I was considering a Kyle job for a Adire Bahama 10" or Shiva 10"
Ideas??? I'm in Australia so I dont know if these are available locally, but I've love a black piano finish on a nice 10" sub

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I am buying a Brahma 15 for my car, as soon as I sell some of my car audio stuff......counting the days......
Finally a sub that has incredible sq, but has the ability to get extremely loud as well. Its about damn time. :emoji_thumbsup:

JordanS

Second Unit
Brahma 10 needs a ridicously small box to reach a low Q alignment.

The 12 only needs .94 cubic feet for a .707 Q Alignment.

If you are going to port that monster, of course the box will have to be bigger; I am not sure how much though.

Good luck!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Remember the Brahma is geared towards car use. They have a rather high Fs and have dual 2ohm voice coils.

If you weren't aware an XBL^2 enable driver geared towards home use is being released soon. With a Linkwitz Transform it should work well in small boxes (provided you have enough power and will be happy with moderate levels). But if you go with a much larger passive radiator allignment very few subs will be able to keep up with it.

Kris Keen

Agent
Car use, hmmm well i hope the home one isnt far from being on the market. They look fairly impressive, the magnet is MASSIVE! Almost as big as the HGS10

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kris,

The new driver Dustin mentioned for home use is only going to be available as a 15" driver.

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Kris, Tom Nousaine's test data shows that an Adire Dharman (105L enclosure tuned to 22hz with a pair of 3" flared ports, 12" Shiva and 250W plate amp) can keep up with the HGS15.

Randy G

Second Unit
Yes Dustin, I'm sure that Kris will be quite happy with the Dharman...it's only 7 times the size of the HGS-10.

Randy G

Second Unit
Brian,

Hmmmm....which do you think takes priority?

7x(size) x .33y(realistic expected cost) = 2.31 OR 231% of what he is looking for, where the perfect size would be 1x and best realistic cost would be 1.

This is what we learned in audiofool shcool.

:^)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends which you have more of; money or space! :) Of course, that damn Brahma driver ain't cheap! Especially in Aussie dollars.
Brian

Randy G

Second Unit
Jack,

Your question begs the assumption that "performance" and "teeny box size" are mutually exclusive. I would assert that since the term "performance" is highly subjective, you might want to quantify what that term means to YOU. I would also suggest that there are many owners of small subwoofers who are thoroughly pleased with the performance(or lack "thereof"?) of their subs...witness the sales success of both Sunfire and Velodyne. I think the crucial questions are "what kind of spl and extension is NECESSARY to make a sub owner happy?".
I would even go one step further and wager that a majority of sub owners had little idea of what levels they'd be happy with prior to purchasing their subs.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'll add another variable to what Jack said: cost. Sure you can jam a Brahma or something in a tiny box and buy a 1500 watt amp to get the same output as you would with $300 in parts and a larger box. For any given price, performance and size are highly correlated. Think about how much a Sunfire or Velodyne costs, compared to something big like an SVS with the same or more clean output.

Randy G

Second Unit
Michael,

I totally agree. Hopefully, in time, the cost of the minisubs will come down to more "comparatively" reasonable levels. At the same time, technological progress should lead to performance gains.

Kris Keen

Agent
Basically, 15" is stupidly too big. I have a 2 bedroom apartment and i NEED a 10" driver, anything over this is overkill and wasteful...

Also, I want a sealed enclosure..totally.. ideas?

Considering the HGS10 is $3899, I'm sure we could built something that outperforms it for less cost..

Kris Keen

Agent
I guess the a enclosure the size of a fridge, with ports I can stick my head in and a 15" driver in the middle is VERY unattractive.
I'd rather be impressed by a cute lil shiny box :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks