What's new

ADCOM Power Amp (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone every heard of this company?
How are their power amps?
Any information on their products would be great.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Of course folks here have heard of them. They've been a major player in audio for many years.

First do a search on this website. You will find answers galore to most any Adcom-related question. If you cannot find the info you seek, then ask a more specific question. We'll be happy to help.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned three Adcom home amps, two 535's and one 545 and two of their car amps 4404 and 4304. Adcom always makes fine amps for the money. I don't no much about the new stuff they have out. You could not go wrong running the older stuff in any home theater system. It is quality gear.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
I went to local Hi-Fi store, I told him I was interested in going to Pre/Pro. I asked what is a good 5 channel amp, and he suggested Adcom. I never heard of them before. The salesperson said for the money they are a very good sounding and built amps.
I was wondering if any one had them or had any thoughts on them.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yep, they produce quality amps that won't break the bank. I have a GFA 5400(125x2)which powers my DIY sub.

BTW, an Adcom rep. told me a funny story about how they came up with the G.F.A. in the model number. If you think about it, you'll probably be able to figure out what it stands for.:)

DJ

Alex F.

Second Unit
David:

It's true. My dealer told me the same story when Adcom, which was then located only 10 minutes from my former home in New Jersey, first entered the marketplace. The dealer took Adcom's very first product delivery the day prior. The day after the dealer received the products, I purchased the GFP-1 preamp, which, I was told, made me Adcom's first customer.

For those who wonder what David and I are talking about, "GFA" in Adcom's amp models (e.g., GFA-5500) refers to "Great F---ing Amplifier," while "GFP" means "Great F---ing Preamp." How about that!

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I have three of them, they are all about 15 years old, and they still work flawlessly and sound terrific. In that time period I've gone through many, many different speakers, preamps, home theater processors, etc. and the Adcom's are the one thing I've never been even slightly inclined to replace or upgrade. G.F.A.'s indeed. ;)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Is ADCOM amps better that Rotel?
I do have a Rotel 2 Channel Amp, which I do like, but is the Adcom better?

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
maybe, but now you are getting pretty subjective. I'd be willing to bet that it would depend entirely which specific adcom you were comparing to which specific rotel.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone has the newer seven channel amp, the GFA 7807? I'm in the process of simplifyng my system for my wife and I'm going from a two-chanel and five-channel amp to a seven channel amp. The Adcom fits the budget and the qualifications. What I want to know is does the amp run cool, does it have noisy fans, does it pop when you turn it on? I have the Anthem pre/pro and Diva Swan speakers which tend to be on the warm side. Would you describe this amp as nuetral, warm, bright or other? I'm also considering the Sherbourn and the new ATI seven channel amps as well, so any of you Adcom 7807 owners want to tell my why to go with the Adcom over the other two? Thanks for any info.

Mike

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Adcom released the GFA-7807. A friend of mine has one and it is killer! Love my set-up but that beast was a whole different animal. Heavy as hell, big mother of an amp with two power chords. The thing was just ridiculous. Maybe the model number should be changed to GUFBA-7807 with the "U" as Un-f***ingbelievable"! Just thought I'd throw than on here.:D

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

The Adcom 7807 was neutral sounding with great dynamics equipped for those with ear-bleeding decibel needs. It can fill a large room with ease which was what he had. From what I was told, it ran warm. Uneffinbelievabul!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d say they’re comparable. I’ve had a pair of GFA 555II’s for something like nine years, and I’ve bee very happy with them. One’s powering the main L/R, the other a pair of passive subs. Got them at a pawn shop for $325 each – a steal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
George,
I just downloaded the GFA-7807 manual and it does not show 2 power cords. The only amp I have seen with 2 power cords is the Sherbourn. Are you sure about what amp your friend has? And your right about it being a heavy monster, almost 120 pounds.

Mike

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Yes, it is the Adcom. My bad, thinking back I mistook another cord as part of it. I do recall a quick looking around the back of his cabinet and thought it was another one. I stand corrected. Anyway, he did tell me that he had to enlist his brother's help just to move it around. The Sherboune would be intriguing too since it is monoblock designed with separate transformers and power supplies for EACH channel. It is 100 watts less per channel and but comparable in weight. Because of its design, many users find that part of its appeal is that each channel did not share anything with the others which increased efficiency. The new ATI amps are trumpeting their own design of Pure Balance design which according to them separates the amplification for both the highs/mids and the lows. Of course, some debunked this as useless since the output should be balanced as well. Man, I wish I had your choices... Good luck.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Adcom has and still makes good stuff. They have lost a bunch of dealers for a bit with quality control issues. From talking to dealers it was that the products were made at several overseas facilities for a while and one piece out of the box would sound great and the next one not so great. I have not followed it over the past few years to see if they ironed out their problems.

I've owned Adcom (and still have a 555 amp lying around) and Rotel. Rotel's is made in their own factories and in general have have better quality control. Rotel has also been more prudent with their dealer network policing dealers (dropping bad ones) and watching to see that products are not sold over the web. As noted, I have not followed the Adcom stuff in last few yrs. much, but prior to that Rotel in my opinion made overall better sounding stuff that has even gotten more outstanding over the last couple of yrs. Would be interesting to revisit that again. Don't think either is a bad choice.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
George,

Thanks for clarifying the 2 cord issue. Having choices is not all that great in some cases. I don't think I could go wrong buying any of these amps but it does not make the final choice any easier. The Sherbourn is the cheapest and I do like the monoblock design and the 2 power cords. The balanced inputs are on the bottom of the amp and will cause my speaker cables and balanced cables to cross which may not be a big deal but just something I know I will have to deal with. If you can can you ask your friend how long the power cord is on his Adcom? Also, I will have the amp in a cabinet so the fact that it runs warm concerns me a little, just how warm does it get? Thanks.

Mike

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information, so either way I should be ok. The amp I was looking at is the GFA-7605. The Rotel amp is RMB-1075. But I do like the idea of getting a 7 channel amp to remove one piece from my equipment stand.

Another question, where can I find a equipment stand to handle all the weight from the big amps. I can not seem to find anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks