What's new

Acoustic Panels for your Recording Studio or Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Karen Golden

Auditioning
Acoustic panels are used to help improve the acoustics of a room by taming "flutter echoes," "room modes," and other problems which arise from a room's dimensions and construction. In my case, I was helping my son construct a recording studio in a detached building on our property.Although a variety of solutions are available for commercial use, they tend to be quite expensive. After some research online, I came across these plans for DIY acoustic panels using rigid fiberglass Wool and simple frames. These are often referred to as "bass traps," although this one has a fairly wide range of absorption. While commercial versions are available for almost $100 a piece, I was able to make the 28 panels I needed for just over $1000.

I ultimately built 26 25½” x 49½“, 1 25½” x 43”, and 1 17½“ x 31” following the instructions found here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-accoustic-panels-for-your-recording-studio-or/ The materials I used were 1”x4”x8’ White Wood Strips from Dunn Lumber, and 56” Burgundy Burlap Fabric and 2”Roxul AFB Mineral Wool from ATS Acoustics.

During its time as a Recording Studio and then a Home Theater, the panels were incredible at handling the acoustics in the 12’ x 20’ room. At one point my son used the room to host a Poker Party, and until the exterior door was opened, letting out a blast of music, you could have heard a pin drop in the backyard. As the room is now an Exercise Gym the panels are unfortunately no longer needed.

I currently have 24 25½” x 49½“ panels, 1 25½” x 43” panel, and 1 17½“ x 31” panel. As a number of them were suspended from the ceiling, I also have a number of swivel hooks I can include.

I would love to sell all 26 panels as a set for $500, but can certainly negotiate on prices if you are interested in a smaller quantity. Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Panels2.jpg
    Panels2.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 49
  • PanelsCeiling.jpg
    PanelsCeiling.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Studio.jpg
    Studio.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 51

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks