What's new

about to move from an apartment... (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
..into a house. Two of my most highly anticipated home theater components, a subwoofer and a 16:9 tv, can finally be a reality for me now due to space and proximity issues finally disappearing.

This afternoon I was thinking about the fact that having close neighbors sharing walls/floors with me has really limited the audio levels i've been able to watch dvd's at, and how getting a Sub and finally being able to crank up the sound is really going to enhance my viewing experience. But my main question is this : even in a house, can really low-end, loud sub action be heard from a neighboring house if it's relatively close? I don't want to go to far with my audio setup, and i have never dealt with a sub before so this is all new to me.

On another note, what's a good, quality Sub that won't break the bank? on top of the house and the tv, i'll be strapped for a while.

thanks!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quality Sub that won't break the bank?
define 'break the bank' ;)
well it depends on how loud youre gonna listen to movies. if you listen at reference level, then most likely YES. you dont want to base your decision on LOUD...you want a good sounding sub that will have little distortion when played at high volumes. some subs to consider under $500:
SVS 25-31CS ($369) with a $100 plate amp
HSU VTF-2 (~$425)
Adire RAVA ($400)
Sony SA-WM40 ($150 at Best Buy)
the SVS is hands down the best sub in this list (of course :)). the list is in descending orders of performance IMO. the VTF-2 is the best powered sub in this range.
good luck!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
About 5 years ago, when I was just out of college, I had to live at home for a year or so. The sub I had then is the sub I still have now...a Mirage BPS-100. It's only got two 6.5" drivers, bi-polar. Still, the thing is great. My Mom said that when I lived there if I was cranking my music she could hear it at the mailbox which was at the end of our driveway about 50 feet away from the house.

However, that being said, I doubt somebody next door, through their walls and mine, could actually hear the music I was playing...and indeed it was cranked much higher than I would ever play a DVD.

The neighboring house was only about 25 feet from the room where I had my system set up. We are really good friends with them and they never complained so I think you are safe.

-Evan

Art C

Agent
I live in a very secluded neigborhood with

about 10 houses. My neighbor from across the

street came into my house one evening after

a neigborhood party for a demo. he's never seen

the or listend to the quality that dvd offers.

I dropped in Steely dan Josie and cranked in

dts. the whole house was just shaking with cystal

clear sweet music. after the song ended I had to

pause the dvd to find out why he was laughing.

He said that explains the thumping sound that

he hears from inside his house every time my

wife leaves for some place.

His house is about 200 feet away also he was

blown away with the sound quality he says he

thougt his bose system sounded good till now.

I hope to soon have an svs sub i want to see

if i can rattle their dishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks