What's new

? about DD ready receiver and cables (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I have a DD-ready receiver, and a DVD player with DD decoder built in. I don't want to spend much money on the 6 audio cables needed, because this is a secondary system. I was thinking of 3 sets of those red/white audio cables. Any better suggestions? Thanks.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Jim,

What do you mean by "DD-ready"? Do you mean that it doesn't have a DD decoder built-in, but it has 6 multi-channel inputs? If so, then yes, 3 sets of RCA pairs will work just fine.

If your receiver already decodes Dolby Digital, then just use a single optical or coax cable for the digital path. Sorry if you already knew that...

--Nathan

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have a few people running this way on older DD ready AVR's / pro logic AVR's, that offer analog input. Good quality older AVR's like this lose virtually nothing over newer true DD AVR's with decoders. I give it a thumbs up, and the L/R cables are the correct ones to use in such a setup.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I need help. I've got the 6 cables hooked up like manual shows, and there is no sound from center channel(no vocals).
The DVD player is a Philips Q50, and in menu I set analog input to "6 channel", digital to "off". In speaker settings menu, I can't figure out how to set anything(I thought maybe my problem is here). Do I also need to hook up the regular stereo "audio out" on DVD player to receiver? This is what was originally hooked up. The receiver is a Technics 720. Thanks.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Jim,

You may need to go into the setup menu of your receiver or DVD player (most likely receiver) to indicate that you have a center channel speaker (it may be set to off?).

--Nathan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
something is wrong. Check the speaker connections to the center channel and try switching some cables around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks