What's new

Help With Onkyo Receiver (1 Viewer)

RonJon

Auditioning
I just purchased a new Onkyo HT-R510 receiver. It replaced my trusty Yamaha RV902. I also hooked up a Samsung DVD player with component cables and used a Toslink for my audio connection to the Onkyo.
The audio blew me away. It was outstanding in comparison to the Yamaha, which was a 5.1 ready receiver into which I had connected the 5 composite connections from my Toshiba DVD which had an onboard DD decoder.

I did some minor adjustments but for the msot part, left the Onkyo default settings stay.

After watching the Hulk tonight though, I noticed the Onkyo was extremely hot on top. I have my Comcast Digital cable converter box sitting directly on top.

OK....long enough buildup here....my questions:

1.Is the heat buildup normal for a long movie(volume set at about 36)?
2. Should I remove the cable converter box and rearrange so the new Onkyo is completely open on the top side?
3.How come my Yamaha 5.1 ready receiver and Toshiba DVD player combo did not sound nearly as good as the Onkyo and Samsung DVD combo?

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
RonJon,

I'm not an expert by any means but here's my story.

My Onkyo TX DS 575 also tends to run hot. I rearranged things so it has more open space to dissipate heat; that seemed to help.

Had a middle model Yamaha before that and though it had very good sound, I prefer the Onkyo.

Can't comment on the DVD players. Have had several myself and never noticed nor even considered that they could influence the sound in any way.

What about it group?

RonJon

Auditioning
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not suggesting the DVD player change is the reason for the difference in sound quality. I am wondering if the DD decoder on the Onkyo is better then the decoder onboard the oler Toshiba DVD(SD3109??)

Sebastian

Second Unit
1. I have the Onkyo 484 and it does get hot no matter what the volume is at. Then again I have it in an entertainment center with glass doors.
2. Yes, you should have nothing sitting on top of your receiver. I have atleast 6" of space between it and the upper shelf. I would prefer to have the reciever on top but space did not allow it.
3. Onkyo is a good product and I have never heard a yamaha play before. It is probably because the yamaha was only 5.1 ready and you had to use composite cables instead of a fiber optic cable (toslink) which has much better sound quality then composite cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks