What's new

A thorough review that shows SACD to be very inferior to DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,
Surprise! We agree on something here. Some of the new digital technology amps are really cool and sound amazing!
As for tubes, there is just something for acoustic guitar played backed with tubes on Maggies that feels right.
:)
Lee

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

After working with Bel Canto's eVo recently, and a Sharp integrated prior to that, I've come to the conclusion I have purchased my last analog amplifier.

I look forward to some other digital amps, and hope to get my hands on the Tact Audio stuff before year's end.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I like that with Tact, the signal is kept in the digital domain all the way to the speaker outputs.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,

I have been thinking about your comments about the ease to downconvert from DSD to PCM. I reread the Mike Bishop interview in TAS and they have been doing this since 1998.

The SBM Direct Process gave us the ability to retain much of the added resolution of the DSD recording in the 16 bit/44.1khz PCM copy. In careful comparisons to encoding at 24-bit/44.1khz PCM at the original session, we were getting better results by downconverting to 44.1khz from the DSD source....CD will never equal the DSD, but we want to be as close as possible.
A very interesting observation, no?

Lee

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
This assumes that it isn't just awareness of the technique that is gving Michael the perception that it's better.

You can do a straight out linear reduction for going from DSD to PCM -- which you cannot do going to 24bit/44.1k. Perhaps Michael prefers the simplicity of the conversion?

What would he have done with 24bit/44.1K anyway, it's not like it's a common sampling depth and rate.

24/48 is another story.

Regards,

Larry B

Screenwriter
John:

Nothing wrong with your preferences, but IMO, the stereotyping you demonstrated in your previous reply was quite off base.
My statement was based on my own experiences and observations, and I stand by it. If your own observations differ, so be it. In any event, as a generalization, it was not meant to extend to all individuals, and I'm sorry that you took offense at it.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks