What's new

A survey on full capability video on demand, for the good people of the HTF! (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I'm currently enrolled in a tech writing class (English 402) here at Washington State University (go Cougs!), and I'm distributing a survey for a project I'm doing.
This project concerns full capability video on demand (FCVOD). FCVOD is basically a service that would allow someone to watch any movie in a TV company's vaults at any time. So instead of surfing a channel like HBO, trying desperately to find anything worth watching, you could simply dial up any movie that HBO offers and have it play anytime you want. Instead of sleeping through Flipper for the 50th time, you could watch Goodfellas (assume it's in its OAR, since this is a FUTURE technology and naturally everyone will be embracing widescreen in the future :)). And you could do it on YOUR schedule, not HBO's.
While this service is not currently offered by any cable TV (that I know of, though I've just been hearing Time Warner offers something like this, actually), it likely will be sometime in the future. My project is a feasibility report that will determine whether this kind of technology can be implemented in the near future. I basically need to find out if there's interest in this technology, and how much it might cost the consumer to pay for it and the TV companies to provide it.
So, I've got a small survey here for you, just thirteen questions. Please forgive any questions that seem redundant (especially the one about if you own DVDs :)), I'm using these questions to survey more than one internet forum. I appreciate it if you take time out to answer them. Just post the answers below this (or feel free to e-mail me your answers). Oh, and feel free to give feedback on the quality of these survey questions, I've never written one before so the questions I ask may not be the most insightful.
Thanks,
Tom
Survey for FCVOD:
1. What is your age?
A. 18-22
B. 23-28
C. 29-40
D. 40-60
E. 60+
2. What is your gender?
A. Male
B. Female
3. Do you own a television?
A. Yes
B. No
4. If so, how many do you own?
A. 1
B. 2-3
C. 4-6
D. 7+
5. Do you currently subscribe to cable TV?
A. Yes
B. No
6. How many hours of television do you watch per week?
A. 0
B. 1-10
C. 11-20
D. 21-30
E. 31+
7. Do you subscribe to any movie channels?
A. Yes
B. No
8. Do you collect DVDs?
A. Yes
B. No
9. If so, how many do you own?
A. 1-20
B. 21-40
C. 41-80
D. 81-100
E. 101+
10. Would you be willing to pay for a service like FCVOD?
A. Yes
B. No
11. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per month?
A. $1-5
B. $6-10
C. $11-15
D. $16-20
E. $20+
12. Would you be willing to use FCVOD if it required special equipment?
A. Yes
B. No
13. If you subscribed to FCVOD, how much per week do you think you would use it?
A. 1-5 hours
B. 6-10 hours
C. 11-15 hours
D. 16-20 hours
E. 20+ hours

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
While this service is not currently offered by any cable TV (that I know of, though I've just been hearing Time Warner offers something like this, actually), it likely will be sometime in the future.
Cogecco, my cable TV provider here in Canada has already begun providing VOD to its customers.

Alas, the price per movie is too expensive ($5.95), the selection of titles by-and-large sucks (all recent 'popular' titles) and all are P&S.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
1.E
2.A
3.A
4.B
5.N (satellite instead)
6.C
7.A
8.A
9.E
10.N
11.N/A
12.B
13.N/A

The only way I would sign up, would be if movies were telecast in HD, DD 5.1 and OAR.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
1. What is your age? A
2. What is your gender? A
3. Do you own a television? A
4. If so, how many do you own? B
5. Do you currently subscribe to cable TV? B
6. How many hours of television do you watch per week? C
7. Do you subscribe to any movie channels? B
8. Do you collect DVDs? A
9. If so, how many do you own? E
10. Would you be willing to pay for a service like FCVOD? A
11. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per month? A
12. Would you be willing to use FCVOD if it required special equipment? B
13. If you subscribed to FCVOD, how much per week do you think you would use it? B

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
1. What is your age? A. 18-22
2. What is your gender? A. Male
3. Do you own a television? A. Yes
4. If so, how many do you own? A. 1
5. Do you currently subscribe to cable TV? A. Yes
6. How many hours of television do you watch per week? B. 1-10
7. Do you subscribe to any movie channels? B. No
8. Do you collect DVDs? A. Yes
9. If so, how many do you own? E. 101+
10. Would you be willing to pay for a service like FCVOD? A. Yes
11. If so, how much would you be willing to pay per month?E. $20
12. Would you be willing to use FCVOD if it required special equipment? A. Yes
13. If you subscribed to FCVOD, how much per week do you think you would use it? D. 16-20 hours

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot, Scott and Elizabeth :) say mods, is there any possibility of moving this to the Movies section? Chris House's survey over there seems to be getting more responses :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks