What's new

A simple question about upscaling (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Is there in theory any difference between the upscaling capabilities of a SD disc in a HD or Blu-Ray player or in a SD player with upscaling? I've found that a SD disc looks way better upscaled in either my Toshiba HD player or my Playstation 3 than in my Denon SD player with upscaling. However, I just wonder if it's a feature of the particular models of players I've got.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
[talking out my behind]

If the upscaling is done entirely in hardware, and they had the same chipset, they'd logically give the same results. However, I'm guessing that the CPU of the next-generation players is a lot more powerful than that of the SD player (the PS3 is famously hyperthyroid, at least), these players can do more software-based pattern recognition than the SD ones.

[/talking out my behind]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, some HDM players have better upscaling chips than others, so it's never a guarentee than HDM players will upconvert better than a SD DVD player with upconvert capabilities (like the highly regarded Oppo).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Andrew,

I'm curious now. Which Denon SD player do you own? I have the 2910 (w/ Faroudja DCDi chip) myself though I haven't been able to make use of its upscaling capability since my current TV is just a tad too old to have HDMI input. Still, would be nice to know for future reference. Thanks.

_Man_

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Denon 1920. The upscaling is far from bad. Indeed, I was really impressed with it - until I got an HD player.

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like it is just down to specific models, and I would guess that as time goes on, upscaling will get better and better. And that means I'm now a lot more cheerful about 'what do I do with all my SD discs?'. The simple answer is - keep them. For a lot of movies that I only watch 'casually' or where HD would in any case reveal more errors than pleasures (e.g. anything sourced from old video tape like a lot of old TV series) the picture quality on an upscaled SD is more than adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks