What's new

A Room With A View -New Anamorphic Reissue Due (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from DVDFile

i finally broke down and picked up the old Image disc this past summer since i found it for $5 unopened.
it would probably fly on a smaller direct view set, but on a FP its pretty bad.
which really hurt as i was able to realize what had made me break down and buy it in the first place- i love this movie (hadn't seen it in probably 10 years)!

the new disc sounds wonderful.
i just hope the BBC label will be committed to high quality A/V, and not be a slack off label like New Yorker.

all that i need now is a date and i can do the D.L. Happy Dance™

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I am somewhat surprised this isn't an HVE/Criterion release, given their tight production with M/I on their other films. Room With a View is in dire need of a proper transfer, as the Image disc was nothing but a port of the LD master.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
looks like April 6th is the street date for this.

Jeff, i remember hearing in 2002 that Criterion had acquirred the rights and would be releasing RWAV in conjunction with some of the other M/I's, but that was the first and last i've heard of it.
everytime i see a thread announcing new upcoming Criterions i expect to see it listed.
oh well.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
These aren't being branded as Criterion titles (so far), as this is a three way collaboration. It was Howard's End that I'd originally heard was coming from Criterion, but HVE has been releasing the M/I discs as the Merchant Ivory Collection. There are four out already (The Bostonians, The Europeans, Bombay Talkie, Heat and Dust) with Maurice and Quartet coming in February.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Count me as excited on this one. I just remember how horrendous and dirty the old VHS transfers looked. The Image disc was good for what it was, but a new anamorphic transfer has me marking 6 April on the calendar.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I sincerely hope they follow this up with the other M/I Forester films, notably MAURICE, which hasn't had an R1 release yet.

Rafael.
(still hanging onto his widescreen laserdisc of Maurice until something better comes along) :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
RafaelB-

Maurice is coming out on DVD in February.

:)

Mark

RafaelB

Second Unit
Thanks Mark. The way I read it, I thought it was talking about R2 for some reason. :b

Rafael.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I was looking for this online the other and saw that it was discontinued so I thought something might be up.
Glad its coming out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks