A question for those who use receiver as a pre/pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van_H, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

When you use an outboard amp in a receiver, the amp will be connected to the pre-outs of the receiver and speakers will be driven by the amp's power via its speaker terminals. Since the receiver has a built in amplifier, I believe the receiver is sending signals to its pre-outs (unamplified) and speakers outputs (amplified) simultaneously.

Since the receiver is still sending signal through its speakers terminals, would it cause any harm to use the receiver's now unused L/R speaker outputs to drive a powered sub for stereo listening?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Van_H,

I don't know about other receivers, but my Marantz 7200 won't allow you to do that. It senses both outputs are connected and shuts itself down for protection.

3. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

Dennis,

Thanks for the response. I too use a Marantz (SR7000). Interestingly, I'm using both outputs in the opposite manner currently without any problem. The front L/R speakers are connecting to the receiver's L/R speaker ternimals as usual and the L/R pre-outs are connected to the powered sub.

The reason I asked this question is that I'm waiting for an outboard amp to arrive and was wondering the reverse would work as well.

4. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

>Since the receiver is still sending signal through its speakers terminals, would it cause any harm to use the receiver's now unused L/R speaker outputs to drive a powered sub for stereo listening?<

That's a good question and one I'd like to know the answer to as well.

Seems I've read somewhere that it's not a good idea to have the amp powered up (receiver, as well?) if there's no load (speaker) connected to the output. But it that's true, I don't know why.

There are many testing scenarios when you may want to have some or all speakers disconnected with the amp/receiver powered up. (such as running EQ tests on your sub)

Is this a problem? If so, is there a good way to overcome it?

5. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Actually it's the opposite, when there are no speakers connected, the load is infinite. Usually, the high level inputs on powered subs are designed to have a high impedance in the range the sub operates. That means the sub will draw less current from the receiver.

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Although I don't do this, reading that thread gave me an idea.

I have a Kenwood VR-509 which doesn't have pre-outs (Well, the VR-510 does) but I believe that what I'm about to say would work on most receivers (I think)

On the front panel, I have 2 buttons to toggle between the A and the B speakers. The thing is, I can enable one, or both or none at all (Useful when using headphones or sending it to my PC - I used the Tape-Out to the Line-In of my sound card)

So I think that if you disable the A and B speakers, then there should be no problem.