What's new

A Pup Named Scooby Doo!! (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3184

BEST! NEWS! EVER!

Far superior than the o.g. series, I've been waiting for this announcement forever! This was one my number one cartoons in the later days of Saturday Morning programming as a kid, too bad thyey didn't just hit us with a complete box set though (I hope they don't expect us to double-dip on one at a later time). The cheese factory monster and the robot dog in the mansion were two of my favorite episodes. I hope they come with more release announcements soon!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Scooo-oooby, a pup named scooby doo! Scooo-oooby, a pup named scooby doo!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
For the record, at $14.98 MSRP, I don't see how releasing individual volumes is saving the customer any money... at 4 episodes per issue, it would take 7-8 releases in order to complete the series. One of the discs is going to have to contain an extra episode also, unless they plan on releasing an eigth volume with a single episode offered. Right off the bat, we're over the $100 dollar mark. Assuming the discs will be marked down slightly, though for whatever reason, it's rare to find this on Scooby related merchandise... you're still well over the cost of what would reasonably have been a single comprehensive 2-disc set that would have completed the series off the bat. I'm thrilled that this show is finally coming to DVD, but I have to say that this context of individual 4 episode releases is completely ignorant. I'll be buying these all on release, but if Warner Bros. tries to sucker me into purchasing a complete box set 10 months later, I'll shoot somebody.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I am excited that a Pup Named Scooby Doo is being released on DVD. I would rather purchase this as DVD season sets, under the Hanna Barbera classic collection.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Awh? Oh its not season set, otherwise I was going cry foul. Dare they skip The scooby doo show but these just seem like typical screwball single releases.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I am excited this is coming out, but even if the $15 in actuality is $9.99, that means it is going to take seven or eight releases to put this show out so it would cost at least $70. That is pricey for what they were charging even before and that was rather a lot for the Scooby stuff.

Plus I actually like how they package the HB stuff so I'd rather have it all together instead of seperate DVD, but that is just me.

Paul

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Well these would fit better on my 80's TV Saturday morning shelf than with the classic 50/60's shows.

But I agree that for the cost it makes little sense. I'm not complaining it's too pricey, but for those who were concerned with the Scooby Movie Collection, this offers little difference. In the end, accounting for the multiple (assumably 7) volume installments, the price is equal. The discs are barebones so we're essentially getting less for our buck as opposed to the HB releases which at the very least offer fluff interviews and video segments. The packaging is not as conveneint; one comprehensive box set versus many single disc 4-episode keepcase issues. Etc. It's a poor argument.

But who's to complain really... I've been hoping this would come out for years!

What would anger me, is if WB decided to follow in the direction of their older budget Scooby snappers by re-releasing this in a year or more down the line as a complete 3 Season set. Once they're going this route and the decision is made, I hope they just stick with it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it'll happen Anthony.

WB is pretty good when it comes to informing consumers about this sort of thing and if they intended to release sets at this point, they'd cross-promote by releasing them alongside one another so that customers would have the option to chose.

Based on the prices and specs though, I don't think we'll see a complete season set. Plus the fact that the episodes are featured in production order shows that the studio is putting thought into the collection and not just putting out a bunch of cheap compilation discs for the kids. They intend to run through the entire series and this seems to be the release context, like it or not.

I'm just happy to have the show on DVD to be honest!

Maybe if these fly off the shelves and rake in tons of profit, we might see something in 2-3 years time but it's doubtful and is it really worth it to wait on chance?

I guess since this wasn't an H-B production and doesn't fit into the studio's classic TV animation category, it doesn't warrant the complete box set treatment?

Eitherway, even at full MSRP we're still getting over an hour and a half of fun cartoons so while it wouldn't have been my preferred release, it's far from a rip off or anything.

I'd reccomend buying these when they come out, chances are we won't see anything more from a release (save for additional volumes if sales warrant, which is almost certainly guaranteed) so why deprive yourself of a great show?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Knowing me, I'll probably pick up one of them, just to get a handful of episodes, then end up buying the other one.

I just don't want another Spongebob situation here.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

Wow. I had a hard time with this show. It was, to me, the final nail, that the show would never go back to its creepy, mystery roots.

I did enjoy some of the late 70s episodes, but really struggle with the 80s-current variations, but I am glad for fans all of the varieties to be able to by their favorite version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks