What's new

A pool table would go nice right there. (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I just got into my new house and am thinking of buying a pool table, but I don't really know where to begin. I'll be placing it in the family room which is open to the kitchen, so the dimensions are fine for a 4' x 8' table, the width is just over 13' and the length isn't an issue.

Anyways, I live in the DFW area, so any recommendations? I've been to a place at Campbell & 75Hwy in Richardson and really like what they have. For just over $3k they've got the table in custom colors, balls, 4 cues, and a cue rack, and it includes delivery and setup. I didn't get any literature and don't recall the brands, but to my untrained eye it looked real good. I want something good, but I don't need the best. I also like the idea of custom colors so I can match my cabinets. Any thoughts on what to look for and what to avoid.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things to keep in mind. First, most of the tables in the 1500-8000 range have the same guts-they're selling you a fancier casing, but the tables will PLAY the same. If money is an object, definitely something to consider. That being said, you'll have to live with looking at it, so make sure it's something you like.

One thing to ask about is whether the installation includes a professional levelling (I'm sure it will). When I got mine installed, they not only made sure the table was completely level (with playing cards no less) but they came back and re-levelled it after two weeks, since apparently the table will take time to settle into its final position and can get thrown off level in the meantime.

Other than that though, a pool table is a pretty basic piece of equipment. Other than being a smooth, level surface, there's not much to it. See if they have a demo model in the store that you can try out, and make sure that the bumpers are responsive, and that the pockets are what you want. I'd stay away from any enclosed ball return systems (since balls can get stuck in them), but it shouldn't be an issue on a decent table (I think that the exposed brass ones are kind of neat actually).

Also, make sure that you get the right weight of cue-try em out to see what you're comfortable with. Spare tips and a tip replacement kit are also good investments. A light is also helpful, since good illumination is pretty critical to playing, and the store probably sells those as well. If not, you can always grab a flourescent from Home Depot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks