What's new

A nice change of pace: Pro-OAR 5 year old at Costco! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, with all the anti-J6P threads going around (please don't turn this thread into a debate on the use of that term), I thought I'd share this.
I was at Costco yesterday looking at DVDs, and a hispanic family came up to look at the JP3 DVDs. The father was looking at the discs and his 5 year old son was in the cart, I didn't hear the beginning of the conversation, all I heard was this:
Son: "...widescreen, Daddy?"
Dad: "No miho (sp?) all they have is fullscreen here"
Son: "Fullscreen...thbbbpptptt (sound made with tongue against lips)"
My girlfriend (very aware of my OAR views) looks at me like "did you just hear that?" I smiled at the kid as the dad wheeled the cart away and said "if anything, heaven forbid, happens to that kid's parents, I'm adopting him..."
:)
Never too young to learn.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't think kids have a problem with widescreen at all. It's mostly older people who are used to VHS.

BTW, I imagine that man said hijo, which is Spanish for "son".

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Don't feel bad, Keith. The world is filled with people a heck of a lot older who still aren't that smart. :laugh:

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think kids have a problem with widescreen at all. It's mostly older people who are used to VHS.
BTW, I imagine that man said hijo, which is Spanish for "son".
Actually, It's "Mijo" which is made up from "Mi Hijo" which means "My son".
:)

Travis D

Second Unit
You speak of the profecy of the one who will bring balance to studios. You beleive it's this boy?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jesse, I cut him a break since he's 5...and that I can't confirm if it is fullscreen or P&S since it's a 1.85 movie. But I thought he got the gist of it, and I couldn't help smiling at him.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Yup, it's usually older males. Women are open to trying it, kids usually don't care either way although many prefer widescreen. Older men who don't understand widescreen don't want anything to do with it and don't want to hear explainations. This is what I've seen working in retail.

Jeff

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
My 5-year old neice and two 4-year old nephews

totally get the idea of "losing part of the picture."

They are pro-OAR.

It is their former Step-Grandmother who

I had arguements with!

Mark

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that kids that young don't have any preconceived ideas about what is on the screen, but because they're more used to seeing television commercials that use letterboxing, news/sports programs that use a smaller percentage of the screen, etc. it doesn't bother them.
It's still cool though that he 'gets' widescreen :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think the HTF has found its poster child(ren) ;)
We should get one made up, have the kid sticking out their toungue "No widescreen? Thpptthppppttt" underneath "Kids like watching all of their favorite movie too"

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Thats a cool story, I just got home after arguing with my brothers wife about teaching her Dad the virtues of OAR.

He's getting a DVD player for christmas and my bro's wife says he's not going to like the black bars 'cause he's used to fullscreen VHS, well anyway after a HEATED debate about teaching him, I said after Christmas I'm going to have a little informative discussion with her Dad about OAR.

Will I win my point? I doubt it, he's not just a J6P he's a J12P!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
quote...
"he's a J12P!!"
:laugh::laugh:!:emoji_thumbsup:
Actually this thread brings up a very interesting point. Imagine if we all raise our kids on widescreen from birth, they would, in turn, grow into adults who love OAR's, who, in turn, will have children of their own etc...
If everyone in this forum does this, we can completely wipe out over 20,000 generations of 6P's!
My best friend has raised his son on OAR, and even though he's only 7, he completly understands OAR. I've told him in the past, that THE best thing he is doing to stop pan n scan is raising his son on the virtues of OAR, because in doing so, he may be wiping out an entire generaton of 6P's, within his family anyway.
It all starts with the children.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks