What's new

A new server is being added to the forum (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron and I have decided to add an extra server for the forum. The present server will be used for the database and the new server for the web side.

This should help a lot with the slow downs we have been experiencing during the day.

For those of you that like to know this information:

The database server is a Dell 2550 with dual Pentium III 1.26G with 512K of cache on each CPU, 4 18.1G SCSI 10K hotswap HDs, 1G of RAM, RAID 5 dual channel and dual hot swap power supplies.

The web server will be a Dell 1650 with a Pentium III 1.13G with 512K of cache, 2 36G 10K SCSI hot swap drives, 128M cache RAID, 1G of RAM and hot swap power supplies.

I will let everyone know when this is up and running. Until then we may continue to experience slow downs during our peak times between 1pm and 5pm CST.

Parker

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Excellent!
This place gets better everyday.
If this place ran like bikes through mud, I'd still come back everyday.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Will this have the search function processing being done on a different machine than the one serving up the pages?

Can you be a little more specific on the time frame Parker? Is this several weeks away, or something that is underway and will happen soon (few days)?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dustin:

The search function will be on the same machine as the database. I am not sure of an actual date it should be just a few days.

Parker

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Awesome. We keep bring this site to it's knees and you two guys keep standing it back up. Kudos as usual.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Not to keep beating a dead horse Parker, but has this upgrade started yet? I've had slow days on the forum, but today was the first time that I was unable to access it at all for a significant period of time...probably around 2:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. CST today. I was denied entry to any forum, receiving messages that because of high server volume, access was being restricted. Have limits been placed on the total number of connections now in order to speed things up?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity, will funds for the new server come from the recent fundraiser that the members contributed towards?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Parker, excellent news. The slowdowns of late remind me of slowdowns we saw before the last server upgrade. During the recent slow periods, when I post a message, my post count doesn't change, and then when I go back to the message board, the thread I posted to doesn't move to the top. When there is a slowdown, the system doesn't update.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
For those who may not have noticed, there are now over 29,000 members.
Some of those visited only once, others, like Mike Knapp, are always contributing.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
If this place ran like bikes through mud, I'd still come back everyday.
Ah-men to that. This is really great news, cause the slowdown has been getting on my nerves quite a bit. Also, this is a momentous thread for me because it marks the first time that I have ever seen Parker post in a normal thread.:D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys:

I am not sure what the cause of the slows yesterday were from. I believe it was due to our second server being added but I haven't heard back from Travis at QWK.net (our ISP) so I can only guess. I could ftp and telnet into the box but couldn't get my browser to open the site up so I can only assume it was because of getting the DNS server set up right. Everything seems to be working well this am. Keep me up to date on if the site slows down any or we are looking better with our higher traffic numbers.

Also, yes the funds that we used to purchase the second server were left over from the donation drive we had last year for the first server. We still have some left over and if we need an additional upgrades we will get those too.

I appreciate everyone's patience in the site taking so long to load lately. Hopefully our new server upgrade will take care of this problem.

Thanks,
Parker

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Is the new server online and working properly? It is 0632 DST here and I am getting exceedingly slow response times.... Same for some time now.

Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sorry, the new server is not up and running yet. I thought it might be but it is not. I will let everyone know when it is up and running.

Thanks again for your patience.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks