What's new

A Neat Experiment (O-scope and RSMeter) (1 Viewer)

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I'm not sure if anyone has posted up info about this before (didn't do a search), but I thought I would share something I did this weekend.

I was taking readings on the bass response in my room with my sub in it's current position. Since I had everything out, I thought I would try an experiment with my sub.

I got my o-scope out (got cheap from e-bay) and hooked it up to the output from the RS meter. I played a sine wave through the sub and took a look. Sure enough, the wave shows up very nicely on the o-scope screen. Something to note though is that the image was kinda rough at first. It really became reasonably stable up in the 80+ dB range. The really neat thing was to run mains and sub around the X-over frequency and then flip the phase switch. You literally watch the wave cut in half.

Unfortunately, the amp in my current sub does not have variable phase. I really wanted to set the phase 90° out and see if two seperate waves were visible. I will be trying this as soon as I get my IB set-up (using a PE794 for that one).

I realize that you can do phase adjustment by just taking sound-level measurements, but it was really neat to actually see it on the screen.

RG

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hey, can somebody explain what difference is between say 0 degrees and 180 degrees phase?

I can hear a slight audible difference but it's often inconsistent and it's hard to tune phase when I don't understand it fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks