What's new

A look into the future of PHILIPS DVD+RW (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
During the annual INTERNATIONAL AUDIO VISUAL EXHIBITION held yesterday,i attended the official launch event of PHILIPS DVR-1000.
After the presentation of the DVD+RW technology,and a indepth introduction and demonstration of the progressive player Q50,i managed to bring up a few questions to the presenter,DR EMMANUEL FREMOUT.
Before i go in detail of the queries that i bring out to him,i'll go with the first look of the machine.
The recorder accepts several video inputs,including a composite video,component video(via euro scart connection) and S-video input.
There is a single cable I-link connection to digital video cam to the recorder.
For the audio,the recorder accepts only analogue two channel stereo inputs,which have to come with the presence of a video signal(from any one of the video connections).
There is no aerial antenna input,so there isn't any feature on pre-programme timer recording.
THERE IS NO DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT OF ANY KIND,OPTICAL OR COAXIAL.
The presenter demonstrate the capabilities of this recorder,by using its VARIABLE BIT RATE feature which maximise the use of a blank DVD+RW disc to acheive the difference in visual quality.Of course,the best video presentation will benefit from the 1Hour setting.
The result is pretty impressive with 1 & 2 hr setting.
The audio quality will depend on the origin of the source.The DOLBY DIGITAL audio encoding will be at a stable rate of 256kbps,plain 2 CH.STEREO.
Below are the questions i brought up to the presenter...
Q: I believe that most HT owners have laserdisc setup and collections as well.Now...to me...the laserdisc format is officially dead,as there is no new discs and players from studios and manufacturers.You are a european i assume(at first i thought that he's a american...) and there are lots of europeans who have laserdisc collections will want to keep their collections of rare to find titles.DVD+RW comes to the rescue.You had mentioned that the VBR(variable bit rate) feature applies to the video side of bit rate usage,how about the audio side?
I have a number of DVD movie discs that have DD bit rate ranging from 192kbs to 384kbs to 448kbs,how about the encoding of this recorder?
A: IS there any MACROVISION copy protections to laserdiscs?(Is he trying to test my intelligence or he really dosen't know any thing about laserdisc,because he spends alot of his time on the research of DVD+RW)I only know that there are some copy protections to VHS releases.
I replied no,MACROVISION COPY PROTECTION only applies to DVDs.
A: The picture quality of the copy will be affected by the use of VBR.On the audio,the DD encoding bit rate will be at a stable bit rate of 256kbs.
Q: Does this recorder have the ability to squeeze a widescreen movie into a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen so that when the recorded disc is played in another regular player it displays 16x9 anamorphic image?
A: No.The recorder records what it receives,it won't crop widescreen images and it won't converts widescreen images into 16x9 squeezed image during the recording process.
Q: Most of the movie laserdiscs comes with stereo matrix surround sound,and there is only 2ch analogue audio input to this recorder.Will this recorder "up converts" the recorded two channel inputs into four channel matrix so that when the recorded disc reloaded into a regular DVD player with auto-DD processing will output 4ch matrix surround sound?Or will this recorder records only the 2ch audio input that we will have to use an external processor to do DPL processing?
A: The recorder will records only whatever it receives,that means you will still have to use an external processor for DPL processing.Depends on the origin of the source,if the input is a matrixed stereo,the recorded audio wil also be a matrixed stereo.
Q: Does this recorder converts color system during recording?For example,if i am copying a movie from a NTSC laserdisc,will this recorder records this movie in PAL or vice versa?
A: NO.Depends on whatever the signal it receives,if the signal is 50hz,the recorded signal will be 50hz.The same applies to 60hz signals.
Q: The DVD+RW only compatible to 3rd generation players and some models from the 2nd generation.How about players from the first generation?Such as the 800series?DVD820?DVD840?DVD860?DVL988?
A: I don't think it will.I had tried it with my DVD830...
Q: The similar make of GRUNDIG?
A: Yeah,that's the one.Actually the GRUNDIG is a OEM product.The DVD+RW does not work with my player.I don't know what are the players here in SINGAPORE,so i don't know if DVD+RW will work with em'.
From the queries above,you can see that there are more things/features to get improved,especially on the audio part.The lack of digital audio input spells the lost of good quality on audio from medias like laserdiscs and HDTV.
Backward compatibility is also an important part as consumers owns different makes of players.Old player owners...dump your current player,its time to upgrade to a new one!
The DVD+RW recorder records and playback pictures and sound with a very good acheivement in quality.But it does not offer any big and attractive features that comes with VCRs...antenna input with tuner built in.Bascially it is a recorder that works like the TERRAPIN AV CD RECORDER,excepts the output quality outperforms the latter.Recording can only be done with only straight source connection,both video and audio have to be present at all time.No audio editing features to thid recorder.You can hide the commercials during playback if you are recording tv television broadcast.But you can't erase the commercials,unless you hit the pause button during the recording process.
Due to my poor english,DR FREMOUT could not answer some of my queries...thats all right.At least he understands some of the key points that i had been trying to make.
Thank you to DR FREMOUT of the PHILIPS DVD+RW TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH.
[Edited last by YANG on November 18, 2001 at 03:39 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Neat; great info. Thanks!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info.
Did they mention whether they'll ever support DVD-R?
DVD+RW is great, but I wouldn't put anything important on them such as camcorder tapes. I've know too many and read too many instances on the net of people loosing valuable data to CD-RW's.
I have a hard time believing DVD+RW will be any more reliable.
If they never support DVD-R, then I hope that the DVD-RW system (Pioneer, etc.) wins out since it does support DVD-R.
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

Jay Blair

Second Unit
My understanding is that the DVD+RW format will be available early next year with a format that is similar to but not compatible with DVD-R, known as DVD+R. The next generation HP DVD burners supposedly will support DVD+R. I'm assuming that most if not all DVD+RW drives will support DVD+R in the future.

YANG

Screenwriter
According to the presenter,SIEMENS and FUJITSU are the latest to sign up to the DVD+RW technology.

YANG

Screenwriter
"I have a hard time believing DVD+RW will be any more reliable.
If they never support DVD-R, then I hope that the DVD-RW system (Pioneer, etc.) wins out since it does support DVD-R."
On backward compatibility,the presenter used a PIONEER player to show the audience that the recorded material in the DVD+RW disc can really be play in another machine that may not be necessary to be a PHILIPS player.
This had really wowed the audience.
On reliability,indeed the recordings made will or may not be 100% perfect.Looking at the stable bit rate of 256kbs DD encoding,i doubt if i copy a movie from a DOLBY MATRIX SURROUND LASERDISC the audio will rock as hard as what laserdisc may sound to be...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nick Pudar

Agent
My understanding is that the DVD+R capability will be handled after you do your own firmware upgrade. I'm not sure if they will mail you a DVD-based upgrade disc, or if you do it by downloading code off the net.

On a related matter, I saw the Pioneer DVD recorder earlier today at a local HT store. I think the model number was 7000, and it recorded to a DVD-RW disc. I asked about the compatibility, and they could not get it to work on most of their other DVD players, including their top-of-the-line Pioneer player. Oops!

Last note, at CompUSA today, I saw DVD+RW media from three manufacturers. The price was $14.95 per disc. They apparently are not selling DVD-RWs. Anyone have any insight into the format battle and its likely outcome?

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks