Please help a DVD newbie!! (long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteS, Oct 17, 2001.

1. PeteS

PeteS Auditioning

I'm looking to buy my first DVD player but before I do I have a few questions:
    What is 3:2 pulldown?
    What is an anamorphic DVD and what TV type are they ideal for?
    What are the pros/cons of a NUON chip?
    How can you tell what chip type is in the particular player you are interested in (seems like the Sage chip is getting rave reviews but I don't know what players it comes in)?
    Now for the next part, player reccomendations. I'll be using a 32" Toshiba TV (4:3 screen). I'd like a nice mid-grade unit, I cannot afford top-of-the-line electronics right now. Features I'm looking for:
    Progressive-scan (planning for future)
    At least 5 disk capability
    CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 capability
    Mulitple speed FWD/REV scanning
    Zoom/Multiple camera angle features
    Ability to change other discs while 1 is playing
    Ability to restart movie exactly where you left off (is this called bookmarking??)
    Smooth layer changes (as smooth as possible anyways)
    High CD playback quality (this will also be my primary CD player)
    $500 or less
    Some models I've found that I'd appreciate opinions about:
    Pioneer DV-C603
    Toshiba SD-3755
    JVC XV-F80BK
    Harmon Kardon DVD50
    Philips DVD972CH
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

3. PeteS

PeteS Auditioning

Ryan, thank you for the explaination. If my TV has the 16:9 "squeeze mode" you speak of will this be in the manual or do I just have to try it out for myself and see how distorted the picture gets? By the way, I currently own a Toshiba 32A61 (32" with dual tuner PIP).
    I have looked at the RP56 but have decided to get a DVD/CD changer since the unit will also serve as my primary CD player. This is why I'm only interested in changers with capacity for at least 5 discs.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    my suggestion: stay away from JVC DVD players. i (in particular) dont like JVC as i've had some problems with them before. BUT, a dvd author posted a few weeks ago about how JVC's players lag behind all other brands in the DVD field.
    with those in the list there, i'd either go H/K or Toshiba.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

5. PeteS

PeteS Auditioning

Do you have a link to that story on JVC players?? I also prefer the Toshiba and H/K just based on brand alone. The H/K seems really nice but I've read lots of reviews about it online that say it constantly freezes and pauses when playing both video and audio CDs. This is unfortunate because it's got all the features I'm looking for. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular player??

6. PeteS

PeteS Auditioning

Another question regarding the H/K DVD50. Apparently there is a firmware version 2.0 upgrade that will fix these problems and the upgrade is supposed to ship this week. Does anyone know if new units now being sold already have been fixed??

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

One consideration would just be buy a cheap interlaced DVD player for the time being, if you don't plan on going with a progressive scan TV for a few years?
    Why? Because right now the top end feature rich players have mediocre de-interlacing quality. OTOH, those with top notch de-interlacing quality don't have the best complement of features.
    Plus, you're not going to find too many 5-disc progressive players. Even if you did, it would likely be very expensive.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had the JVC for a month now, no problems to report. It's a 7 disc changer, plays all the formats you require, performs very well and does the best anamorphic downconversion of any of the 6 players I've owned. It has lots of useful features for calibrating the picture, and it's 3/2 pulldown has so far worked flawlessly when left in "smart" mode. Can't report on long term reliability, but their older glitchy models would usually screw up from brand new.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

9. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

I've leeched a lot of info off of this thread, being in a similar situation as the creator of it. I have a few supplemental questions:
    I'm working of a "regular" TV set (4:3, 1yr old) as well. Would progressive scan only be useful as a future plan for a 16:9 tv? Is there any other benefit without a widescreen tv?
    Could I get "chroma bug" and "downconversion" explaned? I'm assuming once I know what they are, I'll know what kind of impact they'll have on my purchase decision.
    And I'm interested in a recurring problem I read about - flicker. What's the deal with flicker? I've been watching DVDs off of a Creative Labs DVD drive in my computer, S-video out-put to my TV set at 800x600. It's worked great, I have very few image-related problems. Am I in for a nasty surprise with a standalone?