What's new

A Home Theater CHALLENGE! (1 Viewer)

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Over the past year I have been scouring forums looking for decent and space saving solutions for my Home Theater. The problem I have is my budget for the TV, $4000-$5000 CAD. (for TV) and the environment it will be in.

I live in a small and oddly shaped condo, that has a kitchen, work area and a dying 27 inch Zenith T.V. (I have pictures of the condo but have no knowledge of how to post them on the forum.)

Toshiba's 57 inch LCoS sets intrigue me, with the 1080p and EXTREME resolution and small size of depth. But I do not have nearly the amount of money needed. (57HL83, 8 Thousand Dollars Canadian)

Plasma also looks good, but its still somewhat of a new product and still very expensive for something that is improving so rapidly. But a 42 inch plasma would look rather good above the fireplace.

A problem with projection TV’s is that I would only be sitting 8-9 ft from the screen. And that I cannot stand the pixilated look some of the TV's have. Another problem is that they cant be to large in depth because it must fit through my door.
Which is about 35.5 inches in width.

A projector would be VERY nice for obvious reasons but I’m not sure how my rooms would accommodate one, I am also wondering about how much light ruins the picture, because I have many windows...
Although I am anxious to get a TV, I can wait for new models to appear because I am determined to get the best possible TV for my money.

Just some basic requirements for a TV.
42 inch or larger
HDTV that can handle 720p or higher. (1080p for LCoS)
Good resolution
16x9
DVI inputs
Small size of depth of the TV
Can fit through my door.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. ;)
PS: If anyone has home theater product contacts in the Vancouver area, that too would come as good news. Just PM me.(A&B Sound is a little pricey and doesn't have much to offer.)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Estevan:

Perhaps you've already figured this out from the other posts in this forum, but the perfect set for what you describe is one of the the Samsung DLP series of Rear-Projection TV's.

These sets are approx 18"-20" deep and are available in 43", 50" & 61" diagonal sizes. These Samsung DLP sets include an HDTV tuner and are 720p native. Youll find lots more discussion at www.avsforum.com

read more in the below 2 threads:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=145217
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144859

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But have recently got the Projector bug that has been sweeping this forum. I was thinking of a PT-L300U on a 80" or so DIY Blackout gray screen. I've thought long and hard about how to incorporate this into by room, and have an idea.

Is there anything like the PT-L300U (or in the price range) that is as good or better? The PT-L200U seems good and all, but I don't like the idea of no DVI input and lack of throw distance. Is the PT-300U much better with the throw issue?

If I were a millionaire I would just get the Toshiba 65" LCoS set but I’m not, and would really like to enjoy the experience of watching my DVD's on a mega large screen. Or just move into a new house. :D
720p has become less important because of the cheapness of the projector, and figure I'll probably upgrade later when HD-DVD specs. get set in stone.

Other thoughts for a PJ is the Sanyo PLV-Z1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks