What's new

A High Resolution iPod in the future? (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Kind of along the same lines, did anyone see The Two Towers special feature where they said they used Ipods to move the movie around and watch the daily's. One of the guys working on the film was walking down the street and got chased by two other guys because they knew he worked for WETA and had the movie in his ipod.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
One of the guys working on the film was walking down the street and got chased by two other guys because they knew he worked for WETA and had the movie in his ipod.
Would it have enough resolution for full picture quality or just a low res? is there even a video playback option?

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Would it have enough resolution for full picture quality or just a low res? is there even a video playback option?
They used it as a hard drive. Also seeing as a dvd holds the movie I'm sure the 40GB model would have more than enough room for high resolution and full 5.1 surround sound.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
They were carrying (iPod) was in reference to dailys. 4 minutes of HDTV MPEG2 comes out to about 450MBs, so doubtful they were moving HD footage around, but SD footage.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
They were carrying (iPod) was in reference to dailys. 4 minutes of HDTV MPEG2 comes out to about 450MBs, so doubtful they were moving HD footage around, but SD footage.
That makes a bit more sense...I wonder if there is an opportunity for a film gear mfr to make something iPod like specifically for film crews wanting portable "dailies" in HD....

cwhite

Second Unit
That makes a bit more sense...I wonder if there is an opportunity for a film gear mfr to make something iPod like specifically for film crews wanting portable "dailies" in HD...
An equipment manufacturer like Nagra, Kodak or Panavision? Apple is not known for sharing its secrets with others. After all, peripherals tailored for the 3g iPods come from one manufacturer-Belkin. But it's something the company should consider especially with Microsoft making a big push into Hollywood these days.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Certainly someday the technology will exist to download and store a decent amount of high-res audio onan iPod. But I don't think it'll catch on for the very reason that the vast majority of people find MP3s to be "good enough". I think the technology companies will spend most of their efforts towards giving people the capacity for more MP3s (or AACs) and other features. The high-res market will be too small.

Actually, this is the same reason I think SACD and DVD-A will never grow to be more than a niche market. The average consumer is content with near-CD quality; why should the indusrty spend much effort on people who want better-than-CD quality?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Certainly someday the technology will exist to download and store a decent amount of high-res audio onan iPod.
disk space which the general public will use to store more MP3s ;)

hmm, hirez on an iPOD, and listen to it thru $5 earbuds (which most people will have)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No room for a consumer product until HD-DVD is out with a decent software library.

As far as a professional product goes, I say stick with a (high end) notebook computer for now. Portable LCD displays can't even handle 1920x1080 yet, and the power needs for the display and the storage just isn't going to fit in your pocket yet.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Lee - if you're wanting CD quality (or better) you should look for a digital audio player that supports FLAC (free lossless audio codec). I think the new Rio and Dell players do.

.flac files are smaller than .wav, but not as small as .mp3, however, the compression in lossless. There are also 24-bit flac files, but the only application of this I've seen is people recording live music (like Dave Matthews and Phish).

FYI - a 24-bit flac of a 2 hr concert is about 3GB.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That new Rio Karma I've been looking at definitely supports FLAC. I also just found out it has a five-band parametric equalizer. I've got to try one of these units out.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought that I would add that I bought a Karma(to replace my nomad zen nx which replaced my 3rd gen 15gig Ipod). By far the Karma is the best yet. Small, good battery life(15 hours), better sq than eaither of the units I owned before(thanks to ogg and flac), louder than eaither(good for the gym), comes with a dock....price was good as well (250 shipped). If you guys are in the market for an mp3 player get a karma!

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks