What's new

A gas-giant planet almost as old as the Universe itself. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Frustrations with space-program setbacks aside, these really are exciting times. Astronomers have discovered an apparent gas-giant planet that's more than 12 billion years old, orbiting a dying star/neutron star combination (in, of all places, a globular cluster).

Talk about arousing one's sense of wonder:

old, old planet

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I can always depend on you for this kind of information Jack. Thanks—it is awesome (in the fundamental sense of the word).

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I love space related posts, Jack. Thanks! Were you the one that posted that one about alternate realities a while back? That article was mind-bogglingly kewl.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Also mentioned in this past week's New Scientist, a star in our own cosmic backyard (a few ten thousand light-years away) was found to have formed only a few hundred million (perhaps as early as 200 million) years after the big bang. Pretty damned impressive thing, too -- very little to no heavy-element traces at all.

Wow, to think of objects that are still active today that've been around since near the dawn of our Universe's genesis.

Goodness, I love astronomy!

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Jack... this just in...

First Feline Found on Gas Giant just as NASA's budget is being slashed!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks