What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ken Burns' The Civil War -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let me begin by answering what will probably be the most asked question about the new PBS set of Ken Burns' 1990 documentary on The Civil War.

Is it worth an upgrade, if I already own the DVDs?

Simple answer. A resounding yes!

Absolutely.

There is a huge difference between a quarter-century old 480i telecine, and a full-on pin-registered 4k image harvest.

Beyond basic image stability, color comes to life. Resolution grows by 600%. Shadow detail opens up, to allow the audience to fully appreciate, for the first time, the magnificent cinematography. You know where this is going.

The Civil War was, and remains, in its upgraded form, a masterful documentary, from master documentarians.

That said, there's an 800 pound gorilla in the room.

I have a tiny problem with the new Blu-ray, and it in no way affects the product, as the Blu is gorgeous.

This is being marketed as "Fully Restored," which is an difficult feat, when no real restoration is necessary.

When the term is used, is usually comes from the marketing people.

The film elements for The Civil War, a magnificent 16mm, eleven hour documentary, have been properly curated, are not faded, damaged or incomplete.

After viewing the "restoration" demo, it seems that what has occurred, is that the film, with the exception of creating the track and editing, was put back through post-production, and that's no minor expense. Beyond the new Blu-ray, which belongs in every serious library, Florentine Films now has proper full-resolution (4k) asset protection. An important thing for an asset of this quality.

As with any new image harvest derived from a camera negative, totally new color is necessary, along with a bit of digital cleanup -- but restoration? Sorry.

It's precisely the same thing that occurs at the studios on a daily basis, when an original negative is pulled for digital asset protection, and to be absolutely clear, has nothing to do with the quality of the work performed, only the word used to describe it.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5*

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That said, there's an 800 pound gorilla in the room.

I have a tiny problem with the new Blu-ray, and it in no way affects the product, as the Blu is gorgeous.

This is being marketed as "Fully Restored," which is an difficult feat, when no real restoration is necessary.

When the term is used, is usually comes from the marketing people.

I see this happening more and more, and I'm glad you pointed it out. I think it creates unnecessary confusion and blurs the line between the work someone like you does on "Lawrence of Arabia" vs normal and straightforward procedures like making new prints or making a new scan. Criterion is particularly bad in this regard; every press release I've seen from them now claims that each title is a "new restoration". When they're talking about their release of "The Apu Trilogy", I think it's the correct usage of the term. When they're talking about a new Blu-ray of a movie that's less than ten years old, I have my doubts.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
There has been some confusion about this reissue since it first came out last year. I read the first batch of blus all were over exposed with blacks being very light gray throughout. And then PBS reissued a corrected set in December I believe. Sorry I don't have the dates or product info in front of me but it has been discussed in the Amazon forums. I'd like to get this but not the wrong set. Maybe someone here with more insight could elaborate.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
It is sort of a cliche statement to make, but for this release it is very true--I feel like I'm seeing this film for the first time. Details are amazing, it just looks great from top to bottom. And the supplements are not lacking either. A great release that I am excited to have and expect to go back to it time and time again.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There has been some confusion about this reissue since it first came out last year. I read the first batch of blus all were over exposed with blacks being very light gray throughout. And then PBS reissued a corrected set in December I believe. Sorry I don't have the dates or product info in front of me but it has been discussed in the Amazon forums. I'd like to get this but not the wrong set. Maybe someone here with more insight could elaborate.

With any luck, PBS itself is selling the corrected versions. And they're currently having a sale on this set and quite a few others.

I'll know more about whether they're shipping the corrected ones when my set arrives next week, and let you know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With any luck, PBS itself is selling the corrected versions. And they're currently having a sale on this set and quite a few others.

I'll know more about whether they're shipping the corrected ones when my set arrives next week, and let you know.
I acquired my corrected set from PBS. For those in need of some information regarding the corrected set read the linked thread below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/thr...lable-for-preorder.341023/page-3#post-4324242

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love this miniseries, but will keep my eye out for an Amazon "Deal Of the Day."

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I acquired my corrected set from PBS. For those in need of some information regarding the corrected set read the linked thread below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/thr...lable-for-preorder.341023/page-3#post-4324242

Yep.

Set arrived today, direct from PBS (with that new Black Panthers documentary alongside it), and the magic sticker with the corrected UPC # 841887027380 was stuck on the box.

Looks like PBS is dealing only in corrected sets at this point.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Truly one of the greatest documentaries ever.You don't even need to be an American to appreciate it's historic interest. A pity that the price is too high for me. I will stick to the dvds that I have.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I just ordered it from PBS. $73.51, which includes 15% off for signing up for e-mail promotions.

It looks like Amazon is selling both the October release and the December release, and actually is charging $13 more for the October release.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Yep.

Set arrived today, direct from PBS (with that new Black Panthers documentary alongside it), and the magic sticker with the corrected UPC # 841887027380 was stuck on the box.

Looks like PBS is dealing only in corrected sets at this point.

Mine arrived from PBS today and it has the UPC sticker which you mentioned.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In looking this up on Amazon, I still see both versions listed.
When I go for the purchase, I'll choose the one that is listed for December 8 2015.
It has an Amazon ASIN of B0189I11EI.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Glad they fixed the black levels. Though I have to ask Mr. Crawford, since he's now obtained the reissue...I thought you had no problems with the original set?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Although overall The Civil War documentary has many good elements, one element of it has been controversial, and is worth noting:

"While academic historians concur that the war was fought to preserve slavery,— Burns presented Shelby Foote's framing of that dispute as a "failure to compromise".[17][2][3] Though Foote was a journalist and novelist rather than a trained historian, he was given more screen time than any other commentator."

"The Civil War historian Harold Holzer was a further critic of Foote's presentation of Forrest. "Ken Burns always looks for varied voices and he always looks for characters, and Shelby Foote was certainly a character," Holzer says. "The most amazing thing he said was that the two great geniuses of the war were Lincoln and Nathan Bedford Forrest. Foote somehow compared the great emancipator with a man who owned slaves, murdered blacks and joined the Ku Klux Klan."[8] The historians of slavery and the Civil War era Eric Foner and Leon Litwack added to these criticisms, suggesting that Foote consistently underplayed the extent of Southern white racism, in effect treating "white southerners" as synonymous with all "southerners."[53] Litwack concluded that "Foote is an engaging battlefield guide, a master of the anecdote, and a gifted and charming story teller, but he is not a good historian."[53]....

In a 1997 interview with Donald Faulkner and William Kennedy, Foote stated that he would have fought for the Confederacy, and, "What's more, I would fight for the Confederacy today if the circumstances were similar. There's a great deal of misunderstanding about the Confederacy, the Confederate flag, slavery, the whole thing....The Confederates fought for some substantially good things."[31]

The Civil War documentary, although imho good overall, has been criticized by professional historians since it came out, including in a whole book that was published about it in 1996:

historians respond.jpeg

And there has been more focus on its area of weakness recently:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks