What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ We (Wij)- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The concept of Rene Eller's Artsploitation film, We, reminds me of a quote from the great Thomas De Quincey (1785-1859), which was slightly changed many years later, and used by Alfred Hitchcock.

"If once a man indulges in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing, and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination. Once begin upon this downward path, you never know where you are to stop. Many a man has dated his ruin to some murder or other that perhaps he thought little of at the time."

We concerns a clique of eight young friends, who hang out during a summer, and play a series of more and more problematic games.

It's an interesting film, shot around a Belgian-Dutch border village. It was nominated for, or won several European award in 2018, and is being released, here in the Colonies, day and date with the theatrical.

It's an odd film, with four different story lines, from slightly different perspectives, from a new filmmaker.

Those offended by nudity should not apply.

Image - 5 (a slightly wider than normal early 1950s scope AR, at 2.65)

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say it has 4 different story lines.

It's all the same story but told - as you note - from different perspectives, each of which gets darker and grimmer.

Agree it's an interesting film. Disturbing and unrealistic at times, IMO, but compelling.

And I was pretty damned happy with the nudity! :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wouldn't say it has 4 different story lines.

It's all the same story but told - as you note - from different perspectives, each of which gets darker and grimmer.

Agree it's an interesting film. Disturbing and unrealistic at times, IMO, but compelling.

And I was pretty damned happy with the nudity! :D

In a way, Rashoman-ish.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In a way, Rashoman-ish.

I didn't think it was truly "Rashomon" style because I don't think there are the "he said, she said" variations of POV that format implies.

In "Wij", I think we get consistency among the perspectives, but they simply reveal new information each time.

Maybe I was too distracted by the hot naked babes, but I don't recall too many obvious contradictions among the 4 stories - well, other than the cutesy way the highway flashing incident got treated in Version 1...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I didn't think it was truly "Rashomon" style because I don't think there are the "he said, she said" variations of POV that format implies.

In "Wij", I think we get consistency among the perspectives, but they simply reveal new information each time.

Maybe I was too distracted by the hot naked babes, but I don't recall too many obvious contradictions among the 4 stories - well, other than the cutesy way the highway flashing incident got treated in Version 1...

It will be interesting to see what the filmmaker does in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks