What's new

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I noticed that the copy of 'The Wizard of Oz' on iTunes is (once again) the new 4K Dolby Vision version. Those of you that purchased the digital copy on iTunes should be all set.

Mark

Oh wow- is this yet another time when the digital copy I received from a 3D purchase yielding a 4K version? :) Apple is certainly generous. And I may cancel my order now as I didn’t get to pick it up yesterday.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Just confirmed on my iPhone 11 Pro. It is! The picture with new artwork is attached.
upload_2019-10-30_9-43-50.png

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday, Amazon's page for 'The Wizard of Oz' 4K showed that if I purchased the film (within the next x hours) the film would be delivered TODAY (Oct 30). Yet, the copy that I ordered in early Sept hadn't even shipped yet. Amazon was showing that it wouldn't be delivered until Thursday, Oct 31.

I was feeling pretty miffed about that. Why should someone that purchased it AFTER me get it BEFORE me. I initiated a call with an Amazon support rep. You won't believe what he told me.. He said because I paid $3 less (I ordered it at $19.96, it is now $22.96) I was getting slower shipping.

HORSE MANURE! Prime is prime.

When I received the "how did we do" survey email (after the support call), I gave a scathing review. That led to me eventually chatting (text) with a supervisor. He apologized for the poor customer service and assured me that my copy would arrive TODAY (Oct 30). He was so confident that it would arrive today, he promised me that if it didn't, Amazon would refund the entire purchase price and let me keep the 4K Blu-ray. I have his promise in a copy of the text chat.

Amazon shipped it last night. The email and my orders page at Amazon's site say it is arriving Thursday. Maybe it will show up today anyway? But, at this point, I'm rooting for it to show up tomorrow! :)

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My order from Amazon was delivered yesterday and I must say, the cover art is even more horrible in-person. Absolutely FUGLY! WB should fire the genius(es) in the marketing department that produced and approved this garbage. It's like something from a middle school Photoshop seminar gone bad.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I own the 70th Anniversary Edition. I think I'm going to remove the DVD from that set and replace it with the 4K disc. The standard Blu-ray is the same between the 70th, 75th and 4K packages. So only the 4K disc needs to be added to a previous set. And nobody around here would ever watch the DVD at all (zero chance of that).

When we pair Oz with 'Judy' in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater in a couple of months, the 70th Anniversary cover art will look much more attractive on my little "Now Playing" stand.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday, Amazon's page for 'The Wizard of Oz' 4K showed that if I purchased the film (within the next x hours) the film would be delivered TODAY (Oct 30). Yet, the copy that I ordered in early Sept hadn't even shipped yet. Amazon was showing that it wouldn't be delivered until Thursday, Oct 31.

I was feeling pretty miffed about that. Why should someone that purchased it AFTER me get it BEFORE me. I initiated a call with an Amazon support rep. You won't believe what he told me.. He said because I paid $3 less (I ordered it at $19.96, it is now $22.96) I was getting slower shipping.

When I received the "how did we do" survey email (after the support call), I gave a scathing review. That led to me eventually chatting (text) with a supervisor. He apologized for the poor customer service and assured me that my copy would arrive TODAY (Oct 30). He was so confident that it would arrive today, he promised me that if it didn't, Amazon would refund the entire purchase price and let me keep the 4K Blu-ray. I have his promise in a copy of the text chat.

Amazon shipped it last night. The email and my orders page at Amazon's site say it is arriving Thursday. Maybe it will show up today anyway? But, at this point, I'm rooting for it to show up tomorrow! :)

Mark
I hope you didn't watch that Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episode on Amazon...or that you wear gloves and thoroughly clean your items when you receive them. :rolling-smiley:

Found it (NSFW language):

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member

Mark
Gonna offer my typical disclaimer that I use: I no longer work for Amazon and am not speaking on behalf of them. The info below is just educated guessing based upon my experience there.

As someone who used to be in leadership at Amazon Customer Service, you are correct in saying "Horse Manure," in that what the first associate told you was a complete lie. Customer Service Associates have no direct knowledge whatsoever about how shipping is scheduled so they were pulling that answer out of their butt. They are only provided information about policies and general info regarding how shipping should work. They deserved the "No" on the "Did you solve my problem?" survey. This time of year, you were very likely speaking to someone who was just hired in for the "Peak" period around Christmas and who had very little experience or knowledge. This will be a learning experience for them, I can assure you. Too many "no's" on those surveys and you can lose your job.

As for why your original order had a later delivery date: honestly, it's hard to say. It could have had to do with a number of factors such as what the expected inventory was when you placed the order, demand for that expected inventory, etc. If they ended up later ordering a larger number of units than was originally ordered and more of those units were shipped to a Fulfillment Center nearer to you, that would explain why you suddenly saw super-fast delivery as an option. If you pre-ordered it some time ago, your original delivery date would have most likely been based upon the original circumstances surrounding availability at that time and, for some reason about which I have no idea, that didn't change when the availability and shipping speed circumstances did. I wish I could provide a better explanation, but like I said, I'm basing my conjecture on outdated experience and knowledge of a company that changes policies and procedures on an almost-daily basis. A lot of folks have no idea exactly how complex an operation Amazon is. It truly boggles the mind. It does speak well of the company that they have been able to grow at such an exponential rate and yet shorten delivery time on most orders. I'd never consider working there again due to the crushing stress and (in my view) often-toxic corporate culture, but I absolutely still admire their ability to function as well as they do, given their complexity and size.

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

I was feeling pretty miffed about that. Why should someone that purchased it AFTER me get it BEFORE me.

That is SO strange you say that, Mark. I had a very similar experience yesterday as well, but with another title. I placed a pre-order for THE DEVIL RIDES OUT and it always had an expected delivery date of October 29th. I checked it again on Tuesday and amazon told me it wouldn't be here until Thursday. I was a little disappointed but thought, oh well them's the breaks, these things happen. I don't know what made me check the website but there it was with a "free one day shipping" notice on the title telling me if I ordered it within blah blah blah I could get it tomorrow (Wednesday.) The price hadn't changed so I just ordered it again and cancelled my pre-order which hadn't even prepared to ship yet.

Can we expect some sort of new trend for the future?

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh wow- is this yet another time when the digital copy I received from a 3D purchase yielding a 4K version? :) Apple is certainly generous. And I may cancel my order now as I didn’t get to pick it up yesterday.
That would be a negative. The digital copy that came with the 3D disc was Ultraviolet (I know because I have it) and therefore not eligible for a free 4K upgrade. iTunes updated the artwork but you won't get 4K unless you actually bought it at iTunes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That would be a negative. The digital copy that came with the 3D disc was Ultraviolet (I know because I have it) and therefore not eligible for a free 4K upgrade. iTunes updated the artwork but you won't get 4K unless you actually bought it at iTunes.
Exactly. I also redeemed my copy from the 3D Blu-ray. Still HD. NOT 4K

From my iPhone 11 Pro Max
E61EF0AA-8739-4925-8F0A-4332F9D78F9B.png

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Ah so no one is able to get 4K Oz yet on iTunes then as it’s not available yet. Not my worry.
However I must say my copy streaming on my iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb looks damn impressive. Can’t see any room for improvement.
And I will pick up that gorgeous 4K steel book anyway for that great cover.
So the digital copy in the new 4K only gives an HD file as iTunes doesn’t have a 4K Oz? Is that what I’m to believe?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
My order from Amazon was delivered yesterday and I must say, the cover art is even more horrible in-person. Absolutely FUGLY! WB should fire the genius(es) in the marketing department that produced and approved this garbage. It's like something from a middle school Photoshop seminar gone bad.

it’s so sad what drek these studios put out to sell their products. The days of great graphic artists is truly dead. Or these conglomerates just go for the cheap. Disgraceful. What is that tornado doing on the Yellow Brick Road???? The illustration is worse than Journey Back to Oz w Liza Minnelli and reminds me of Oz The Great and Powerful and not in a good way.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ah so no one is able to get 4K Oz yet on iTunes then as it’s not available yet. Not my worry.
However I must say my copy streaming on my iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb looks damn impressive. Can’t see any room for improvement.
And I will pick up that gorgeous 4K steel book anyway for that great cover.
So the digital copy in the new 4K only gives an HD file as iTunes doesn’t have a 4K Oz? Is that what I’m to believe?
No. If you purchase the 4K OZ the digital code will redeem in 4K on iTunes and other MA partners where available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The Canadian iTunes store upgraded to 4K sometime yesterday, as did my previous iTunes file. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks