What's new

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
BD has windowboxed titles
Why would that be necessary? I know it was commonplace back in the days of SD television when overscan was a common issue and they wanted to make sure none of the credits were cut off, but surely that shouldn't even be a factor with modern HD televisions. Makes no sense whatsoever, even on a disc from 2013.

EDIT: After thinking about it, didn't they use the HD transfer that was created for the previous DVD release? That would explain why the windowboxing is on the Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The picture may be state of the art but that cover has to be The WORST cover ever for any The Wizard of Oz release. It’s ugly godawful. Oh let’s cram in every possible image including the tornado dancing down the yellow brick road!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The picture may be state of the art but that cover has to be The WORST cover ever for any The Wizard of Oz release. It’s ugly godawful. Oh let’s cram in every possible image including the tornado dancing down the yellow brick road!
You know, I'm not really a Steelbook case for more $ kind of guy...but yes the standard 4K case cover art is so bad that I went ahead and ordered the Best Buy Steelbook Case edition since it's better. It's not awesome, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the standard 4K cover art.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think the only title so far from WB where a remastered BD was included with the 4K disc was 2001, where the original master dated back to the dawn of BD and had several baked-in issues.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
You know, I'm not really a Steelbook case for more $ kind of guy...but yes the standard 4K case cover art is so bad that I went ahead and ordered the Best Buy Steelbook Case edition since it's better. It's not awesome, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the standard 4K cover art.

Thanks for this tip-I just ordered and will pick up today- much much better cover. So I will now have 2 steel books including the 3D version- which by the way is a fantastic disc as you feel like you’re on the sets. I hope this version blows me away as much as the 3D version did. Looking forward to the new commentary though.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think the only title so far from WB where a remastered BD was included with the 4K disc was 2001, where the original master dated back to the dawn of BD and had several baked-in issues.

I think both Goodfellas and Unforgiven also contained blu-rays utilizing the new transfers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must say my 4K/Dolby Vision Digital looks better on my LGOLED 65” today than what I experienced in the Dolby Cinema theater this past weekend.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Warner is hit-and-miss when it comes to including remastered blu-rays, but there are a number of them:

-Batman
-Batman Returns
-Batman Forever
-Batman & Robin
-Batman Begins
-The Dark Knight
-The Shining
-Goodfellas
-The Matrix
-The Matrix Reloaded
-Matrix Revolutions
-Unforgiven

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That’s such a bittersweet statement. :laugh:
In a way, but, I'm an AMC A-Lister so I really didn't mind seeing it again on the big screen as it didn't really cost me any additional money. It was my 3rd or 4th time doing so over the last 40 years or so, the last time being on an IMAX screen in 3-D. It's funny, I sat down just to sample the 4K digital again as I watched the entire movie a couple of months back when iTunes mistakenly had the 4K/DV up for playback for a day or so. Anyhow, I ended up watching the movie again in its entirety for probably the 60th time.:)

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
-Batman Begins

My understanding is that the included Blu-ray is the same transfer from the original release, merely reauthored in MP4 instead of VC1, but based on the same underlying master.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the copy of 'The Wizard of Oz' on iTunes is (once again) the new 4K Dolby Vision version. Those of you that purchased the digital copy on iTunes should be all set.

Mark

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I noticed that the copy of 'The Wizard of Oz' on iTunes is (once again) the new 4K Dolby Vision version. Those of you that purchased the digital copy on iTunes should be all set.

Mark

Hasn't upgraded in the Canadian store yet...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hasn't upgraded in the Canadian store yet...

When I checked in the U.S. iTunes store this morning (about 9am Pacific) it hasn't been upgraded from HD yet. But when I checked again about 2 hours ago it finally showed it available in 4K.

I hope the Canadian version hits soon.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I checked in the U.S. iTunes store this morning (about 9am Pacific) it hasn't been upgraded from HD yet. But when I checked again about 2 hours ago it finally showed it available in 4K.

I hope the Canadian version hits soon.

Mark
Same here, I checked first thing this morning and it was still in HD. I almost bought the 4K disc afterwards, but, decided if I'm going to buy it again on disc, it would be more prudent to wait another month until the Black Friday sales. Anyhow, I checked again around Noon and there it was in 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks