What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, everyone seems to think that a movie consists only of a picture; what about the sound! Maybe the picture cannot be improved upon, but advancements in audio technology are such that noticeable improvements could be made. I'd be every bit as excited about that, but no one seems to have anything at all to say about the sound portion of this great classic.

It's the same 5.1 mix as the Blu-ray, so there's nothing new to say.

The 4K drops the BD's mono track as well...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Wizard of Oz is probably a good film to use as a benchmark since it's one of those films that seems to consistently get high quality video releases, with only the advances of technology being the difference. I've had the '96 VHS, '99 and '04 DVDs, caught a 35mm dye-transfer print in 2003, got the '09 Blu-ray, and waiting for the UHD next week.

It almost makes sense that such a timeless, endlessly beloved film has been so consistently pleasant on video (at least since the '89 remasters).

Timothy A Goldich

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
It's the same 5.1 mix as the Blu-ray, so there's nothing new to say.

The 4K drops the BD's mono track as well...

Well, if some new effort had been put into the sound (Dolby Atmos, or something), they certainly would have advertised it. Too bad. It would have been fun to hear it in a new way. I hope the picture is noticeably improved. Word is that it is.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Really, why? It's a musical.
Has the audio been more beautifully rendered in the 4K version?

The audio has been well handled for years. Antique optical density tracks. How much should one change an 80 year-old film?

It looks very different from its initial release, and sounds as good, or better than it did in 1939.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The audio has been well handled for years. Antique optical density tracks. How much should one change an 80 year-old film?

I agree that an Atmos track would be overkill. Going 5.1 seems like a stretch as it is.

But the 4K should include the original mono mix - and that side of the release has been poorly-handled for years. The mono track on the BD is lossy and not very good quality.

It's a real missed opportunity that WB didn't use mono on the 4K and also give it the restoration it needs...

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I have both 2D and 3D latest BD and they are both fantastic blown to 120".
Since I'm a pixel- peeper I may buy the 4K when it's under $15.
I suppose other than 'our types' will buy it on display at Target for Thanksgiving and Christmas, if they hadn't upgraded their VHS or DVD. Just fun speculation....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I agree that an Atmos track would be overkill. Going 5.1 seems like a stretch as it is.

But the 4K should include the original mono mix - and that side of the release has been poorly-handled for years. The mono track on the BD is lossy and not very good quality.

It's a real missed opportunity that WB didn't use mono on the 4K and also give it the restoration it needs...

I’m guessing here, but the original optical composite would probably not sound nearly as good as what has been created - presumably from earlier gen optical stems. Keep in mind that the original comp track, as printed, would have gone through Academy filter in projection.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
It was created in mono and as such should at least have a new mono soundtrack not a fake 5.1 soundtrack. That just as bad as converting it to fake 3D if not worse. Criterion needs to do this film right as it did on laser disc many years ago.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
It was created in mono and as such should at least have a new mono soundtrack not a fake 5.1 soundtrack. That just as bad as converting it to fake 3D if not worse. Criterion needs to do this film right as it did on laser disc many years ago.
The comparison to 3D would only hold if 2D were not available.
I don't see what Criterion would have to add now, they don't even do UHD.
I agree the original mix should always be available on the disc. It's bonkers to not have it....

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Deleting one of Judy's lines is not taking care of the audio. Sorry, but they messed up back in 1998 by tampering with the track. They made a bad choice when they cut it, and also made an edit to the music in a later scene. The mono track on the bd is just the folded down stereo track.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I do have the blu-ray release but want to pick up the 4K release and feel it will look very good on my Sony XDR55A9F 4K OLED.
As I had mentioned on the other thread, this 4K purchase is a first time buy of WoOZ for me. For some odd reason, never got around to buying the VHS, DVD or Blu-ray. And I never owned a LaserDisc player.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This.

I've had this discussion before on this forum, but just because a film is older it doesn't make sense NOT to offer its soundtrack in a lossless format. The best material that exists should be presented in the best format that exists--as long as it makes sense financially to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks