What's new

Brendan G Carroll

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan G Carroll
Good to read this review - I have the disc on pre-order here in the UK so assume it will not arrive until 2019.

The release is timely: I recently decided to watch my 2005 DVD again, but played the dsc in my Blu-ray player. What a shocking disappointment. The fllm played like a patchwork quilt. Every print source was obvious as the quality changed sometimes from shot to shot.

The greater visual scrutiny of a bluray laser revealed all the cuts and blemishes. It was painful.

So, I am greatly looking forward to this new issue and even if the 18 minutes that were cut in 1947 are obvious, I will settle for the rest being wonderful!

Now what really needs to happen is for ELISABETH & ESSEX to be properly restored. I know that WB has original nitrate technicolor prints for this title, so a digital frame by frame scrub up and scan (like was done for DODGE CITY) should be possible and is so desperatelt needed. DODGE was a revelation - ESSEX would be transcendent.

PLEASE WB????

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Now what really needs to happen is for ELISABETH & ESSEX to be properly restored.

Next year marks the 80th anniversary of 1939, and I'm hoping Warner Bros. will release another wave of films from what is often considered Hollywood's greatest year like they did in 2014, and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (and Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Wuthering Heights, Gunga Din, etc.) will be among them.

I've never seen The Sea Hawk and am really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I remember Ms. De Havilland telling that story, I can't remember if it was on TCM with Robert Osborne or some other bonus material for a disc release. Another story I heard is that there was some other tension between Davis and Flynn and that it was sexual tension between the two stars. Flynn apparently loved her walk.

I am pretty sure that was originally on the commentary track for the Robin Hood Criterion laserdisc (which was a gorgeous disc in its day). Not sure if that commentary is on the blu, however.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The latest Warner Archive Podcast with George Feltenstein. It has a date of December 11th, but it didn't show up on my iTunes until today. Feltenstein and group talks about "The Sea Hawk".

By the way, George Feltenstein stated that he needs sales on this title to be good enough so he can release other Errol Flynn films. He wants to release more Flynn films on Blu-ray, but the number of sold units on "The Sea Hawk" needs to be enough to justify the cost of releasing those other Flynn titles onto Blu-ray. People need to support that effort.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^That's all well and good... but just how many units is "good enough?" I'll be purchasing this title as it's a favorite, but vague statements like that just sound like marketing speak to me. Give us hard numbers and a place we can track them to see if our efforts (i.e. purchases) are truly making a difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
^That's all well and good... but just how many units is "good enough?" I'll be purchasing this title as it's a favorite, but vague statements like that just sound like marketing speak to me. Give us hard numbers and a place we can track them to see if our efforts (i.e. purchases) are truly making a difference.
You'll know if your purchases are making a difference when other Flynn titles are released on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right. Marketing speak, aka FUD.
Whatever.

Edit: Obviously, you want a level of transparency that the studios will never grant regarding catalog disc sales, especially now with a shrinking disc market. It's not happening so it will remain "marketing speak" to you and perhaps some others.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]By the way, George Feltenstein stated that he needs sales on this title to be good enough so he can release other Errol Flynn films. He wants to release more Flynn films on Blu-ray, but the number of sold units on "The Sea Hawk" needs to be enough to justify the cost of releasing those other Flynn titles onto Blu-ray. People need to support that effort.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast
Thanks for posting, Robert. It's always good to know where we can help.
I will now make certain that "The Sea Hawk" becomes inclusive of my next purchase.

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Rudeness is inexcusable, especially from a "moderator." I, too, support THE SEA HAWK release!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been away from the forum the last two hours or so because my mailman came with this Blu-ray title. Wow! What a great looking disc compared to prior video releases of this fine film. The optical shots look as such and you can tell where they substituted from lesser film elements the previous cut sequences. Other than that, it looks great and I'm very happy with this BD release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's great. I put the disc on my CHristmas list, and if I don't get it, I'll be buying it for myself after the holidays.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing I forgot to add as I was leaving to catch the 5:00 p.m. showing of "Aquaman". The musical score of "The Sea Hawk" is one of my favorites and I consider it one of the best from that era. Another thing, impressive camera work on this film with some outstanding shots.

Reactions: PMF

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I watched this last night and was amazed at just how wonderful it looks. BEAUTIFUL job by Warner!!

Exactly my experience.....and I would only add my delight at how great it sounded, and how much I enjoyed taking in the whole "Warner Night at the Movies" (and seeing the cartoon "PORKY'S POOR FISH" in High-Def!). Definitely one of the best Blu-rays of the year for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks