What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Poseidon Adventure -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Criterion Channel is showing it next Saturday as part of their Saturday Matinee feature. This could mean that down the road they themselves could release the film, fingers crossed on that hopefully happening.

1654967534621.png

The Poseidon Adventure

SATURDAY, JUNE 18​

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That would be fantastic to get a UHD of this film from Criterion. I think this is the charter member of disaster films, and it was nominated for Oscars. A film that checks boxes for a Criterion release, in my opinion. It does follow Airport, but this is a well done and well written film.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That would be fantastic to get a UHD of this film from Criterion. I think this is the charter member of disaster films, and it was nominated for Oscars. A qualifying film for Criterion, in my opinion.

The big 4 Disaster classics Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, and Earthquake were all Oscar nominated and some did win an Oscar or two as well.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The big 4 Disaster classics Airport, The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, and Earthquake were all Oscar nominated and some did win an Oscar or two as well.
I think Inferno was the only one nominated for best picture, but Poseidon was a better film, in my opinion. There were no bad guys to root against (the son in law of the builder in Inferno was a despicable guy).

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I don't know if anyone here watches For All Mankind, but this week's S3 premiere is a nice space-set homage to Poseidon Adventure.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have yet to see POSEIDON, but I LOVE THE TOWERING INFERNO.

What a great movie!

I really should check out POSEIDON… does anyone in Canada know if it is streaming?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Airport was nominated for Best Picture, but unfortunately lost to Patton.

"Unfortunately"?
:confused:

"Airport" is a dull bit of soap opera, whereas "Patton" is a legit classic.

"Airport" is a total snoozer. At least some of its sequels offered campy fun, but the original? 😴

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
"Unfortunately"?

"Airport" is a total snoozer. At least some of its sequels offered campy fun, but the original? 😴
Well, that's your opinion of Airport but it's no more than an opinion. I've always enjoyed the film.

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I loved "Earthquake" Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner reunited from "55 Days At Peking", and the campiest Lorne Greene playing Gardner's father. He must have been around her age ? Loved Victoria Principal pre -Dallas.
movie-poster-earthquake-1974-FHPFDA.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
"Unfortunately"?

Airport is better than Patton, Patton is too long, George C. Scott gives his best performance in it next to Dr. Strangelove, but other than that it's a boring history movie.

Airport on the other hand has conflict on top of conflict from the very beginning and continues to build up until it explodes both figurative and literally. The film is a bit soap opera-ish, but Airport was the first film that planted the seeds for what the Disaster genre would be come throughout the 70's.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
And that's your opinion but it's no more than an opinion.
That I enjoy the film is a fact, not an opinion. I haven't expressed an opinion about the film's merits and demerits but if I ever do, I won't present my ideas as though they were facts.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Airport is better than Patton, Patton is too long, George C. Scott gives his best performance in it next to Dr. Strangelove, but other than that it's a boring history movie.

Airport on the other hand has conflict on top of conflict from the very beginning and continues to build up until it explodes both figurative and literally. The film is a bit soap opera-ish, but Airport was the first film that planted the seeds for what the Disaster genre would be come throughout the 70's.

"Airport" has cheesy soap opera conflict on top of conflict and little real tension.

As someone who loved disaster movies as a kid, I appreciate that it kickstarted the genre, but it remains El Grande Snoozerito.

"Patton" is a taut mix of war movie and character study. It's a genuine classic that holds up after 52 years - and is never boring.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That I enjoy the film is a fact, not an opinion. I haven't expressed an opinion about the film's merits and demerits but if I ever do, I won't present my ideas as though they were facts.

Okay, it's a fact that you have an opinion about the movie.

:rock:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
"Airport" has cheesy soap opera conflict on top of conflict and little real tension.

As someone who loved disaster movies as a kid, I appreciate that it kickstarted the genre, but it remains El Grande Snoozerito.

"Patton" is a taut mix of war movie and character study. It's a genuine classic that holds up after 52 years - and is never boring.

Airport being multi-storied is what almost all the other 70's Disaster films went on to be. Being shown what the characters lives are like before they are all thrown together when disaster strikes and how they're all going to survive is good storytelling, you get invested in those characters more and when they start to die off you feel sympathy for them.

Patton might be a good character study, but it's about one person only, and after awhile you stop being interested in them, where as in Airport the action goes from character to character so we get know everyone quite well and keep seeing how they are doing throughout the film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
"Unfortunately"?

Airport is a fun movie, I consider a classic in it’s genre. Patton is clearly a superior movie, IMHO.

Airport is fun, Patton is a top notch movie, and is easily the better of the two. But I could be wrong.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seems like a massive missed opportunity for Shout! to do a Irwin Allen Master of Disaster Box with Poseidon, Inferno, and the less than stellar Warner Bros. films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Isn't film appreciation great! You can have an opinion about two films and be right and wrong at the same time depending on whether other people agree with that film opinion or not.:) Of course, I'm just kidding, there is no right or wrong in such opinions. Anyhow, I don't agree with your opinion, but that's fine and dandy.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks