What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Knack... and how to get it -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Three of Richard Lester's films are being released on Blu-ray concurrently by Kino, and it's always nice to have more of his work available.  Beyond The Knack..., we're being treated to How I Won the War, as well as The Bed Sitting Room.

Headlining Rita Tushingham and Michael Crawford, The Knack... is a film that is well worth the 84 minutes of your time.

David Watkin was cinematographer on this one (as well as the other two Lester films being released).  You've seen his work on Help!, The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Devils, The Boy Friend, Robin and Marian, Chariots of Fire, Out of Africa and Yentl.

Here, his work is presented in 1.66 and lovely black & white.  Dirt is kept to a minimum, with the only real problem being the main title sequence, which seems to have been dragged around the lab, before being printed.

The score is the work of John Barry, and if you don't know his work, it's time to do a bit of research.

The Knack... is a film that belongs is any serious library, and especially for those studying 1960s UK cinema.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Great news! I projected this on original release and was dragging all of my friends to the theatre to see it.

I am still trying to get people to see it. It is a great document of the early 60's London scene, and also explains director Richard Lester's later Beatles film A Hard Day's Night.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
rsmithjr said:
Great news! I projected this on original release and was dragging all of my friends to the theatre to see it.

I am still trying to get people to see it. It is a great document of the early 60's London scene, and also explains director Richard Lester's later Beatles film A Hard Day's Night.

Um, AHDN was made BEFORE The Knack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks