What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Chase -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Chase, is a Horizon Picture, which should be a signal that it's bound to be something special.

And it is.

Based upon the play (and novel) by Horton Foote, and with a screenplay by Lillian Hellman, it's the simple story of an escaped convict, played by Robert Redford. Marlon Brando is the local sheriff.

Well, not quite.

There are several other actors of note, that you might wish to consider before you decide to order.

Jane Fonda, E.G. Marshall, Angie Dickinson, Janice Rule, Miriam Hopkins (yes, Ivy Pearson, herself), Martha Hyer, Robert Duvall, James Fox, Diana Hyland, Henry Hull (our second cast member with a tip of the hat to classic horror), and in smaller roles, Bruce Cabot (King Kong), Clifton James (Cool Hand Luke), Paul Williams, Jocelyn Brando, and Lori Martin (Cape Fear).

The score (also isolated, naturally) is by John Barry.

As directed by Arthur Penn, The Chase opens slowly. It's
never a perfect film, but there's greatness to be found within.

And fortunately, it's a Columbia picture, and you know what that means.

Perfection. No need to go further.

If you've never seen this one in all it's Panavision glory, as photographed by the great Joseph LaShelle, don't wait on the one.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I love The Chase and I've never understood the negativity toward it. The reviews were poor when released and there are still people who deride it today. I love every minute of it. Very underrated.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Between this review and those credits, I wouldn't be surprised if these 3,000 discs were to be gone before I finished this post.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I love The Chase and I've never understood the negativity toward it. The reviews were poor when released and there are still people who deride it today. I love every minute of it. Very underrated.
It is pretty much of a downer if you're not in the mood for that kind of film. So, that may have had something to do with it. I have the TT disc. Good picture quality for sure.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Excellent movie with amazing pq. A new favorite for me from 1966. Very good audio commentary by Redman, Kirgo, and Lem Dobbs. Fine little essay as usual by Kirgo. Easily worth at least $30 imho.

Reactions: PMF

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Never understood the antipathy, have always found it pretty solid, and loved the Barry score. This is a definite maybe for me, which means I'm giving it time to sell out so I don't have to buy and can grouse about it afterward like ZARDOZ ...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I like the film, but get a bit tired of seeing scenes (in various films) in which Brando gets beaten to a pulp. Seems like that was perfunctory for him for a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks