What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Bird with the Crystal Plumage -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I hate to bring up such an old thread, but Blue Underground's website is listing this as OOP. I'd suggest that if you have even the slightest interest in this film you pick it up ASAP because the recent French Blu-ray has been Storaroed and I fear that any future US Blu-rays from whatever company gets the film could suffer the same fate.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

There most certainly IS an "original track"- or rather, original tracks. The filmmaker- being of Italian origin himself- would likely have supervised the Italian dub track, so the original Italian mix could safely be called an "original track".
By the same token, films like this- as well as most of the "Spaghetti Westerns" and many other Italian genre films- often employed native English-speaking actors in major roles as main characters in their films. Since English was then (and arguably now) considered to be the "International Language", the English-soundtrack- often containing the actual voices of the major English-speaking stars who acted in these films- would obviously also be considered an "original track". In fact, many times the English-language versions of these films would be the export versions, being shown in other countries in English with subtitles.

Vincent
I think the problem arises with the terminology. It was quite frequently the case that, with Techniscope-lensed films shot in Italy, no on-set dialogue was recorded. If this is what the poster is referring to as an "original track", he would be correct. Also, as shown in the supplemental materials for the 2-disc DVD of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, quite frequently dialogue would be changed from version to version to better fit the actors' lip movements e.g. in TGTB&TU, at the campfire scene where the one Italian actor says "more feeling" as they are playing the song, on the Italian track his line is "piu forte", which translated roughly is "louder".

So, is there an "original track"? It all depends on your point of view.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Hmm... I've never seen this, and am not the biggest Argento fan in the world. I did like "Suspiria" though. I might bite on this one if I spot it on sale. thanks for the review.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I see this said a lot and don't think it's accurate. While the on-set dialogue might not be intended to be used in the final mix, I'm sure they recorded sound at least so they could have a "guide track" for editing and the later looping. Otherwise you'd be editing dialogue scenes with no sound, which would be a disaster unless the editor could read lips.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
I think the problem arises with the terminology. It was quite frequently the case that, with Techniscope-lensed films shot in Italy, no on-set dialogue was recorded...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks