What's new

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Warner DVD from Netflix looks good with almost perfect registration. The movie is set bound and blah.
I've got mine coming as well. if it's close to the 3 Musketers I will be thrilled!! With Mr F back in the saddle I know this is going to be a joy to experience. Especially since I too have the previous, tired and washed out DVD as well.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
My copy arrived today. WOW! It even does full justice to the beautiful Nora Eddington, Flynn's then current wife.

20220721-165957.JPG

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You are spot on ---- but when watching as even Mr F said in the podcast the film was made with tongue firmly in cheek - by this time Flynn had been in court cases with some serious charges so the fact that he was playing Don Juan was with all involved in making the film with a great inside joke - Alan Hale shines in this as does Viveca Lindfors the always great Fortunio Bonanova too just a fun film and the duel between Robert Douglas and Flynn is another well staged classic -- just enjoy the entire film!
I watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I've always liked the movie, but considered it a lesser film in relation to Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk et al. I don't think I had watched it since the Errol Flynn Vol. 2 set came out on DVD. Watching it this time I was very impressed. The color and detail on the Blu-ray are amazing. If it is not an A+ film I think it as least an A-. Even though it is studio bound, the sets and costumes are so lavish this did not bother me.

The script was tailor made for an aging Errol Flynn who was still handsome and fit-looking. His Don Juan is cynical and world-weary and questioning his purpose in a life which has been spent for the most part a shallow pursuit of pleasure. Had the movie been made 5 or 10 years earlier they would not have been able to use this approach, but it fit the character and actor very well. The screen does not explode with sparks in the scenes between Flynn and Viveca Lindfors, but this is as it should be as we are talking about a potential love story between a queen and an aging roué, so it is kept rather formal.

I thought Flynn seemed very committed in the role. In his action scenes he seemed very forceful as if he were really in life and death situations. By the time he escapes the dungeon after being beaten, he is on a vengeful path and the way he walks and carries his sword just seemed more intense than in his younger days. The great leap down the staircase was marvelously executed by Jock Mahoney, but Flynn really sells the leap with the anger and contempt he shows for the craven Robert Douglas. This splendid Blu-ray has given me a new appreciation of this film.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I've always liked the movie, but considered it a lesser film in relation to Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk et al. I don't think I had watched it since the Errol Flynn Vol. 2 set came out on DVD. Watching it this time I was very impressed. The color and detail on the Blu-ray are amazing. If it is not an A+ film I think it as least an A-. Even though it is studio bound, the sets and costumes are so lavish this did not bother me.

The script was tailor made for an aging Errol Flynn who was still handsome and fit-looking. His Don Juan is cynical and world-weary and questioning his purpose in a life which has been spent for the most part a shallow pursuit of pleasure. Had the movie been made 5 or 10 years earlier they would not have been able to use this approach, but it fit the character and actor very well. The screen does not explode with sparks in the scenes between Flynn and Viveca Lindfors, but this is as it should be as we are talking about a potential love story between a queen and an aging roué, so it is kept rather formal.

I thought Flynn seemed very committed in the role. In his action scenes he seemed very forceful as if he were really in life and death situations. By the time he escapes the dungeon after being beaten, he is on a vengeful path and the way he walks and carries his sword just seemed more intense than in his younger days. The great leap down the staircase was marvelously executed by Jock Mahoney, but Flynn really sells the leap with the anger and contempt he shows for the craven Robert Douglas. This splendid Blu-ray has given me a new appreciation of this film.
You picked up on what most people today who do not know his body of work do not get- he is playing a version of his own self - he had numerous court cases scandals in the 40's and was playing Don Juan Flynn wink wink - but he also in the course of the film goes from playboy cartoon character to dashing swashbuckler trying to save the Queen from the evil Robert Douglas character and 1948 audiences welcomed that Flynn back! It is a under appreciated Flynn film.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

I've always had a soft spot for this film, I love all of Flynn's movies...but for me, it fills all the places it needed to!! My copy is in transit and should be here for my birthday on Tuesday....and I will give feedback once I get a chance to view it. I await it's arrival with the same anticipation I did for the 3 Musketters and Ivanhoe!! Technicolor extravaganzas all!!
My innerchild is very happy right now!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I've always had a soft spot for this film, I love all of Flynn's movies...but for me, it fills all the places it needed to!! My copy is in transit and should be here for my birthday on Tuesday....and I will give feedback once I get a chance to view it. I await it's arrival with the same anticipation I did for the 3 Musketters and Ivanhoe!! Technicolor extravaganzas all!!
My innerchild is very happy right now!!
HAPPY EARLY B'DAY!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When the Blu-ray comes out on July 19th, then I'll be talking about the movie and the Blu-ray's presentation. Right now, we're in a wait and see period because only reviewers have access to this Blu-ray.
I finally got around to watching this Blu-ray and I was even more impressed by its video presentation than I was for Elizabeth and Essex. Kudos to Warner Archive for producing such a beautiful looking BD. As to the movie, I've always found it very entertaining. Like my prior viewings, I was laughing and smiling throughout the movie and even more so this morning because the video presentation looked so gorgeous on my OLED. Yes, it's a light hearted film, but it always leaves me in a good mood after watching it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I finally got around to watching this Blu-ray and I was even more impressed by its video presentation than I was for Elizabeth and Essex. Kudos to Warner Archive for producing such a beautiful looking BD. As to the movie, I've always found it very entertaining. Like my prior viewings, I was laughing and smiling throughout the movie and even more so this morning because the video presentation looked so gorgeous on my OLED. Yes, it's a light hearted film, but it always leaves me in a good mood after watching it.
Agreed, I too was amazed by the visual upgrade from the older dvd. I've always loved the "tongue in cheek" take Flynn gives in this role, inhanced by the time in which it was created. And the genius of Max Steiner's musical score was like hearing old friends again!
The commentaries were wonderful as well, I didn't know that this film marked the last time that Flynn and Hale would work together...but a great last hurrah it was!! a Big shout out to Mr. F and his amzing team!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Agreed, I too was amazed by the visual upgrade from the older dvd. I've always loved the "tongue in cheek" take Flynn gives in this role, inhanced by the time in which it was created. And the genius of Max Steiner's musical score was like hearing old friends again!
The commentaries were wonderful as well, I didn't know that this film marked the last time that Flynn and Hale would work together...but a great last hurrah it was!! a Big shout out to Mr. F and his amzing team!!!

great pic!
1659287664943.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I just watched this for the second time in a matter of months which is rare for me. What an incredibly lavish production. What eye candy. Despite the slightly aging Flynn not only is he charming and funny but so are the young woman he goes after. What pretty young women are genuinely funny with a light touch today?
And the supporting cast is perfection. Though whenever I see a famous TV actor in a period production like this I find it a bit of a distraction. Like Carrol O' Connar in Cleopatra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks