What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Rancho Notorious – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Three-strip Technicolor from RKO, with Hal Mohr behind the camera.

Fritz Lang.

Marlene Dietrich.

Arthur Kennedy.

Mel Ferrer.

Warner Archive via WB's MPI.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think that's about the fewest words we've ever had lol!

Anyway, the picture quality does practically sock you in the jaw—but in a good way. What an interesting Western, which I'd never seen before today. Would this count as a Western Noir? Like some of you, I know Arthur Kennedy best as the reporter in Lawrence of Arabia, but in that movie somehow I almost always want to see more of him, and here we've really got that. This must be one of his strongest roles. Strong work by Marlene Dietrich too, although I think I like her even better in Hitchcock's Stage Fright from a couple of years before. A few places where we have fast cutting reminded me of the German Expressionist roots of Fritz Lang. So many actors in this who are more famous from other roles (look, it's the Professor from Gilligan's Island. Fred Mertz. Superman. Jack Elam, etc.).

What about the last lyrics of that song, as the guys ride off? It says that....

they are about to die in a gunfight.

Was that for the production code?

rancho.jpeg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think that's about the fewest words we've ever had lol!

Anyway, the picture quality does practically sock you in the jaw—but in a good way. What an interesting Western, which I'd never seen before today. Would this count as a Western Noir? Like some of you, I know Arthur Kennedy best as the reporter in Lawrence of Arabia, but in that movie somehow I almost always want to see more of him, and here we've really got that. This must be one of his strongest roles. Strong work by Marlene Dietrich too, although I think I like her even better in Hitchcock's Stage Fright from a couple of years before. A few places where we have fast cutting reminded me of the German Expressionist roots of Fritz Lang. So many actors in this who are more famous from other roles (look, it's the Professor from Gilligan's Island. Fred Mertz. Superman. Jack Elam, etc.).

What about the last lyrics of that song, as the guys ride off? It says that....

they are about to die in a gunfight.

Was that for the production code?

View attachment 173183
Have you seen City for Conquest?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
No, I haven't. Haven't even heard of it. Looks great though. One of Arthur Kennedy's good roles, I assume? Thanks for the recommend. Since I'm also a fan of Cagney, I should see this one. Doesn't look like there's a blu-ray available, but it is available for streaming rental. Okay, back on topic.

city for conquest.jpeg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We had trouble finding Mr. Kennedy when we needed him for ADR on Aurens. A lead took us to retirement in Atlanta. My asst called every A. Kennedy, etc in the Atlanta area, and he finally called back.

Jim Painten, my partner on the project was a huge fan, so he flew to Atlanta, where Mr. K had made arrangements to record at a local TV studio.

He jumped right into character, and gave us exactly what we needed. Great actor!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
We had trouble finding Mr. Kennedy when we needed him for ADR on Aurens. A lead took us to retirement in Atlanta. My asst called every A. Kennedy, etc in the Atlanta area, and he finally called back.
The more I learn about this peculiar occupation of film restoration, the more I think its formal description is ‘MacGyver’.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Just watched Arthur Kennedy in both "Fantastic Voyage" (cranky), and "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie" (VERY cranky, and a racist, too).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Jim Painten, my partner on the project was a huge fan, so he flew to Atlanta, where Mr. K had made arrangements to record at a local TV studio.

He jumped right into character, and gave us exactly what we needed. Great actor!
Maybe you should have looked at the Johns ;) ...

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
No, I haven't. Haven't even heard of it. Looks great though. One of Arthur Kennedy's good roles, I assume? Thanks for the recommend. Since I'm also a fan of Cagney, I should see this one. Doesn't look like there's a blu-ray available, but it is available for streaming rental. Okay, back on topic.

View attachment 173186
Awesome film and a reminder that there's still a lot of prime Cagney waiting for release as blu rays etc. in the Warner vaults.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
He is also excellent in A Summer Place as Troy Donahue's alcoholic father.
He is usually memorable in everything he does. In a film like ELMER GANTRY, with a number of terrific performances, he still stands out in a supporting role. He plays a journalist who is kind of the "voice" of author Sinclair Lewis.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I always forget how old I am until movie fans say something like I've never heard of City For Conquest. Used to play on the local NY stations when i was a boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks