What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Super 8 -- in 4k (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With J.J. Abrams Super 8, which has reached ten years of bottle age, you get precisely what the credits state.

An interesting sci-fi project, with a full load of Spielbergian nostalgia and some terrific performances from young teens.

It's also occasionally almost of two voices, with the military of an unmentioned country heading away from democracy making it's rules - only of course, to be outdone by the kids.

The question in my mind as I watched for the first time since its original release was does it stand the test of time?

In some ways, it does, especially with the pyrotechnics of the railroad incident, but in others, not so much.

As a new 4k UHD release from Paramount, it looks (and sounds) terrific. HDR has been applied, but not to a point of doing damage to the imagery. Blacks are rich, colors pop, and 1980 looks very much like 1980.

It's interesting seeing Elle Fanning again as a kid - she started in film at the age of three.

Still like to see A Rainy Day in New York.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with Projectors - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The question in my mind as I watched for the first time since its original release was does it stand the test of time?

In some ways, it does, especially with the pyrotechnics of the railroad incident, but in others, not so much.
This is a favorite film of mine. It’s biggest strength is the kids. They come across as real kids. Elle Fanning is great. I’m not sure what parts have not aged well.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is a favorite film of mine. It’s biggest strength is the kids. They come across as real kids. Elle Fanning is great. I’m not sure what parts have not aged well.
If the whole film were focused on the kids making movies, it would be a favourite of mine, as well. It's too bad Abrams felt the need to shoehorn the alien story into it. Having a film start like Alien and end like E.T. just doesn't work.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If the whole film were focused on the kids making movies, it would be a favourite of mine, as well. It's too bad Abrams felt the need to shoehorn the alien story into it. Having a film start like Alien and end like E.T. just doesn't work.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Near the end we see that the creature eats people. Not very ETish. Nor does the movie ever approach the terror of Alien. All IMHO.

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder
Pretty sure that this movie is just using SDR in a HDR wrapper right? HDR is around 300 nits, and clips out. Not sure why they did this, why cap out the dynamic range of HDR?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Near the end we see that the creature eats people. Not very ETish. Nor does the movie ever approach the terror of Alien. All IMHO.

But that's the problem: you have a creature that acts like the Xenomorph but we're supposed to care about his fate like we do ET.

The movie's a mess - so many problems!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But that's the problem: you have a creature that acts like the Xenomorph but we're supposed to care about his fate like we do ET.

The movie's a mess - so many problems!

I’ve never thought we were asked to care about the alien like ET. Even when the deputy sheriff’s son, joe, is trying to find the creature, it’s because he’s trying to rescue Alice. We were given reason to understand why the alien is so pissed off, he suffered decades of abuse at the hands of humans.

It works for me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Super 8 4K is released tomorrow, but Amazon still doesn’t have a ship date. What gives?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With J.J. Abrams Super 8, which has reached ten years of bottle age, you get precisely what the credits state.

An interesting sci-fi project, with a full load of Spielbergian nostalgia and some terrific performances from young teens.

It's also occasionally almost of two voices, with the military of an unmentioned country heading away from democracy making it's rules - only of course, to be outdone by the kids.

As a new 4k UHD release from Paramount, it looks (and sounds) terrific. HDR has been applied, but not to a point of doing damage to the imagery. Blacks are rich, colors pop, and 1980 looks very much like 1980.

It's interesting seeing Elle Fanning again as a kid - she started in film at the age of three.

Still like to see A Rainy Day in New York.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with Projectors - Yes

Recommended

RAH
Is this the Nike Cage film?

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Super 8 4K is released tomorrow, but Amazon still doesn’t have a ship date. What gives?
What gives is Amazon is becoming lackadaisical in their new release shipments and listings. Partially due to pissing matches with some of the studios. I've begun looking for other avenues for new releases as sometimes I'll get them nowhere near the release date from Amazon. I canceled my order of this a few weeks back and ordered it from Best Buy for the same price. I preordered my Godzilla vs. Kong 4k from Best Buy because their exclusive metal casing was cheaper than even the regular release on their site and Amazon. After waiting for the price of the 4k Indiana Jones to drop on Amazon, it never has and still hasn't, I found it elsewhere for about $20 less. Also notice when you preorder now, Amazon will give you a ridiculously wide range for delivery date. I still order from them, but when my 1976 version of King Kong that I pre-ordered in February was put on backorder, that was the last straw.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was doing a little browsing of Elle Fanning on IMDB. She had done a bunch of acting prior to this movie and according to IMDB, she was paid $1.5 million for this movie. Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks