What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prometheus 3D-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Vincent_P /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray#post_3990233
My point is, folks are questioning Robert for comparing PROMETHEUS to 2001, and I was simply pointing out that 2001 has had many of the same complaints that have been made about PROMETHEUS made about it.
Vincent

I don't think that anyone is "questioning" Mr. Harris. He's voiced his opinion and others have voiced theirs. That is all.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
dpippel said:
I don't think that anyone is "questioning" Mr. Harris. He's voiced his opinion and others have voiced theirs. That is all.
Exactly. I wasn't questioning him; I was differing with him. He's entitled to every silly and unsupportable opinion he wants to hold. :P

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Haha, that's a great video, and I pretty much agree with everything in it. Prometheus was interesting, scary, and had great atmosphere, but at was as chock-full of inconsistencies, logical errors, and plot holes as any movie I've seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cafink /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray#post_3990353
Haha, that's a great video, and I pretty much agree with everything in it. Prometheus was interesting, scary, and had great atmosphere, but at was as chock-full of inconsistencies, logical errors, and plot holes as any movie I've seen.
Yet, it thoroughly entertained me which is what I want from any film, but those points are well taken.

Crawdaddy

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Crawford said:
Yet, it thoroughly entertained me which is what I want from any film.
It's what I want from any film, as well... but, it's not all I want.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray#post_3990357
It's what I want from any film, as well... but, it's not all I want.
Well, many of us do.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray#post_3990327
Exactly. I wasn't questioning him; I was differing with him. He's entitled to every silly and unsupportable opinion he wants to hold.
Which is all fine. 2001, in both of its versions... yes, I've seen both (the cut / adapted version I find more satisfying than the un-cut), is a beautifully crafted, thought-provoking film.

As far as space travel is concerned, the protagonists in both are set up for long term space travel, encapsulated for long periods, possibly even years, and brought out of their semi-comotose states upon nearing their target. The spacecrafts in both are huge affairs -- far larger than a 1960s Buick -- designed to spectacular production design standards, which can easily sustain human life for long periods.

My comments, for future discussions sake, was aimed toward he concept of the monolith vs. the Engineers. The mystical vs. the more warm-blooded, whatever the Engineers may have been.

None of this is reality, as we know. But the two films, come at similar questions from differing points of view, both of which should be open to interpretation and further discussion/

RAH

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
dpippel said:
I'm with you on this, and while I certainly don't begrudge anyone for enjoying the film I find the favorable comparisons to 2001 something of a slight to Mr. Kubrick's genius. :)
Beyond the gorgeous visual effects and production design, Prometheus left me in turn both annoyed and bored. I found it to be sloppy and pretentious with a poor screenplay and shallow characterizations. The only member of the crew that generated any empathy at all in me was David, and he was an automaton. Mr. Fassbender was the best thing about the movie IMO. His Peter O'Toole playing LoA impersonation alone was almost worth the price of admission.
I agree. Prometheus has a truly interesting premise/hook that bogged down by a bewilderingly poor screenplay.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to get into the whole "2001 vs. Prometheus" argument (because, sacrilege of sacrilege, while I greatly respect 2001, I don't really enjoy watching it).
However I do notice the "cycle of reviews" vis a vis the Internet and our instant information access society, makes people render opinions on films instantaneously. These films spend years in development, writing, shooting, editing, post-production, etc. and we now have the luxury of taking in a 2-hour showing and blogging or posting about it as we walk out of the theater. This isn't specific to Prometheus, obviously, but applicable to all films. We don't afford films the breathing room for contemplation anymore (kind of like chugging fine wine before letting it breathe). And thus, when we put our reviews and opinions out there, we rarely ever give the film a second thought, even as the days or months go by, and if we do, we rarely ever contradict what we immediately wrote after the film. I mean, how many mea culpas do you see here or in other forums? (admittedly I've seen more here in HTF than elsewhere, so that says something positive about our merry little band of enthusiasts)
I don't expect to change anyone's mind about this film (or any other). Just bemoaning the fact that the Prometheus (and insert other film here) backlash started immediately and relentlessly before the seats had cooled from peoples' viewing. I do kind of miss the old days (and by that I mean the 90s) where this forum did exist, we did share ideas, but because we were still in the 'net infancy, the type of dialogue was less polarized and immediate.
Oh my god, am I now the "Hey kid, get off my lawn" guy? :D

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:
I'm going to shift gears here, and go somewhere that I normally do not.
Featurettes and documentary extras.
I've seen far too many of them.  Going back to the '60s, when I worked on a few.  Generally I can't stand them, as the back-patting gets a bit much.  "Not only was she great to work with, the most intelligent actress on the planet, but she's great at practical jokes, remembers her lines, and never sulks in her trailer."
Uh, no thank you.  Gag reels generally don't do it for me either, unless they're from the '40s.
What have we here?
Charles de Lauzirika, who I may in the future refer to as "Sir Charles," has created what is IMHO, the finest set of documentaries to accompany a feature on a high-end Blu-ray, in the history of mankind.  He's outdone himself.
Very funny.:)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray#post_3990374
I'm not going to get into the whole "2001 vs. Prometheus" argument (because, sacrilege of sacrilege, while I greatly respect 2001, I don't really enjoy watching it).
However I do notice the "cycle of reviews" vis a vis the Internet and our instant information access society, makes people render opinions on films instantaneously. These films spend years in development, writing, shooting, editing, post-production, etc. and we now have the luxury of taking in a 2-hour showing and blogging or posting about it as we walk out of the theater. This isn't specific to Prometheus, obviously, but applicable to all films. We don't afford films the breathing room for contemplation anymore (kind of like chugging fine wine before letting it breathe). And thus, when we put our reviews and opinions out there, we rarely ever give the film a second thought, even as the days or months go by, and if we do, we rarely ever contradict what we immediately wrote after the film. I mean, how many mea culpas do you see here or in other forums? (admittedly I've seen more here in HTF than elsewhere, so that says something positive about our merry little band of enthusiasts)
I don't expect to change anyone's mind about this film (or any other). Just bemoaning the fact that the Prometheus (and insert other film here) backlash started immediately and relentlessly before the seats had cooled from peoples' viewing. I do kind of miss the old days (and by that I mean the 90s) where this forum did exist, we did share ideas, but because we were still in the 'net infancy, the type of dialogue was less polarized and immediate.
Oh my god, am I now the "Hey kid, get off my lawn" guy?
I agree. When I first saw this movie in the theater, it was before all the complaints and plot-holes were being discussed. I loved the film, and when I read all of the discussion about the plot holes, I thought, "yeah, those are valid criticisms".

After the 2nd viewing in my home, with advance knowledge of all the supposed "plot-holes", I noticed that pretty much every single complaint, is actually explained and taken care of in the film, if you are paying close enough attention.

I say "pretty much every" because there is still one scene that makes absolutely no sense at all, and that is Milburn wanting to play with the cock-monster. I still can't explain that one.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Carlo Medina said:
I don't expect to change anyone's mind about this film (or any other). Just bemoaning the fact that the Prometheus (and insert other film here) backlash started immediately and relentlessly before the seats had cooled from peoples' viewing.
How much contemplation do you need to determine that a movie like, say, Battlefield Earth is a poor piece of work? Or more recently, Jack and Jill? Some movies just plain stink.
Personally, I found Prometheus to be an astoundingly awful film, one of the worst I've seen in years. I had a very visceral and immediate reaction against it, and further thought only makes its obvious flaws even more apparent.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Jeff Cooper said:
After the 2nd viewing in my home, with advance knowledge of all the supposed "plot-holes", I noticed that pretty much every single complaint, is actually explained and taken care of in the film, if you are paying close enough attention. 
However, the mere presence of an explanation is not enough, if that explanation describes circumstances of sheer stupidity or absurd reaches of logic. Adequately-explained (or excused) BS is still BS.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JoshZ said:
Personally, I found Prometheus to be an astoundingly awful film, one of the worst I've seen in years.
You need to see more movies then. I only thought Prometheus was OK but I can name 5 worse movies from the last six months. Come to think of it, I've probably seen 5 worse movies since seeing Prometheus when it opened.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by JoshZ /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray/30#post_3990383
Personally, I found Prometheus to be an astoundingly awful film, one of the worst I've seen in years. I had a very visceral and immediate reaction against it, and further thought only makes its obvious flaws even more apparent.

I respect everyone's opinion, but one of the worst you've seen in years? I can name ten movies I've seen this year which are worse.

We enjoyed Prometheus for what it was. And I look forward to watching again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray/30#post_3990386
However, the mere presence of an explanation is not enough, if that explanation describes circumstances of sheer stupidity or absurd reaches of logic. Adequately-explained (or excused) BS is still BS.
People working at their jobs everyday and do sheer stupid or absurd things all the time despite being properly trained and educated to know better than to do such unexplained acts.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
I'm with Josh on "one of the worst" because Prometheus had such incredible potential and deflated my great hopes. Sure, Wrath of the Titans is a more "terrible" movie in an absolute sense, but not one that I ever expected better of.
The bigger they come, the harder they fall.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Crawford said:
People working at their jobs everyday and do sheer stupid or absurd things all the time despite being properly trained and educated to know better than to do such unexplained acts.
I'm not talking about things that people do; I'm talking about logical fallacies that plots try to make us believe. Vis-a-vis his role in Alien, what Prometheus asks us to believe about the space jockey is just stupid. It has nothing to do with whether or not he forgot to clock out for lunch (although that might've made for a more interesting and believable story).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray/30#post_3990397
I'm with Josh on "one of the worst" because Prometheus had such incredible potential and deflated my great hopes. Sure, Wrath of the Titans is a more "terrible" movie in an absolute sense, but not one that I ever expected better of.
The bigger they come, the harder they fall.

So I can say 2001 or Blade Runner are terrible films because the court of public and critical opinion tell me these are both ground breaking, wonderful films and that is okay? In other words, because these films have been built up over years, the fact I don't particularly care for their languid paces or overly inflated egos (or storylines) makes them worse than Ghost Rider 2? Really?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks