What's new

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I picked up a copy at Wally the other day. I haven't had a chance to watch it through, but did a spot check of the disc. It's not reference quality, but it still looks quite good. Looking forward to watching it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I bought the disc for $12.86 Cdn at my local Walmart. Given that iTunes in Canada is charging $9.99 for the digital, I figured under $3 for a physical disc as well [since the digital release is an "iTunes Extras" title] was a decent compromise.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is pretty obvious that Paul Thomas Anderson is a big Robert Altman fan.
I remember seeing 'Punch Drunk Love' and I just had a huge smile when I heard the song from Popeye. So cool. Don't you wish you could have a chat with a filmmaker that shares the same passion for a certain movie? It would be a great conversation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He definitely is. Towards the very end of Altman’s career when it became known that he had had a heart transplant, he was only able to get insured to direct on the condition that the production hire a second director to shadow him and be prepared to take over if Altman died suddenly or was otherwise incapacitated, and Paul Thomas Anderson filled that role for one of his films.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I am definitely not going to change any of the set minds here, but I watched the Blu-ray last weekend, projected on a 110" screen via my RS2000, and while it may not be reference material it is a fine disc and a bargain for $9.99. I doubt that most people would see the wavering, and while it is certainly not the last word in fine detail, it is not a smeared, processed mess either. Colours are beautiful, and contrast & black levels are great. 3.5 is probably the most accurate score for it, but most people will likely see it as a 4.

Now, if you hate the movie, I definitely won't have any hopes of changing your mind. But if you let go of preconceptions and just enjoy it for what it is, you might be surprised.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Anderson's Magnolia is certainly influenced by Altman.

Yes, it was fun seeing Mr. Anderson sort of working up his own pictures that obviously sort of paid tribute to directors he loved. With Boogie Nights I recall coming out of the theater thinking "Wow, this guy loves Scorsese."

Then walking out of Magnolia thinking, "Wow, he loves Altman too."

He's obviously a student of 1970s era filmmakers. I mean I've seen Kubrick in his later work as well.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I've been a fan of musicals all my life, and of course this had to be a blu-ray that sits on my shelf with all of the other musicals released on blu-ray, there are still so many yet to be released. I have always enjoyed this film. And I am very glad I purchased the blu-ray, because it really is an upgrade from the DVD. I had not read any of this thread before I made my purchase, so I didn't have any expectations either good or bad. I think the soundtrack has been greatly improved, oh how I love the clear sounds of the orchestra which weren't so clear before. And I see a pretty decent picture upgrade too. This is on my Sony Z9D 75" and also on my JVC projector. That's where I really noticed improvements, when I had this projected at 159". I did scan through the DVD before I watched the entire blu-ray. And to my eyes, I am actually quite pleased. Sure it could have been better, but is enough of an improvement for me to be excited and happy to have it. My review would be picture quality 4 and sound 5 (the sound has surely been remastered plus we now have lossless audio).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Now, if you hate the movie, I definitely won't have any hopes of changing your mind. But if you let go of preconceptions and just enjoy it for what it is, you might be surprised.

It seems to just be one of Those Films that are very divisive.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When I watched the DVD back after it hit shelves, I went into it with positive memories of the movie from its theatrical run, so I definitely didn't enter with a negative judgment in advance.

Then I actually watched the thing - bye-bye, positive memories! :D

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

True enough. But many of these types of divisive movies suffer because some people dislike them for what they aren't more than for what they are. Meaning, they struggle to overcome their preconceptions of what the movie should be, and cannot accept what it is. I had that problem when I first saw Popeye back in 1980 -- I was expecting something based on the Fleischer cartoons rather than Segar's Thimble Theatre comic strip, which I was totally unfamiliar with. That was jarring enough that it ruined the movie for me. It took years for me to accept what it was doing and just go with it. But everyone's mileage may vary.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
He definitely is. Towards the very end of Altman’s career when it became known that he had had a heart transplant, he was only able to get insured to direct on the condition that the production hire a second director to shadow him and be prepared to take over if Altman died suddenly or was otherwise incapacitated, and Paul Thomas Anderson filled that role for one of his films.

That was on Altman's last film, A Prairie Home Companion.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
True enough. But many of these types of divisive movies suffer because some people dislike them for what they aren't more than for what they are. Meaning, they struggle to overcome their preconceptions of what the movie should be, and cannot accept what it is. I had that problem when I first saw Popeye back in 1980 -- I was expecting something based on the Fleischer cartoons rather than Segar's Thimble Theatre comic strip, which I was totally unfamiliar with.

Everyone on the movie had their own ideas--Robin's Mercer-muttering and Shelley's "Ohh, deeear..." were homaging the cartoons, while Jules Pfeiffer's script was homaging the comic strip.

And, of course, 1980 audiences knew neither one of them, and it confused their poor lil' minds! :blink:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Everyone on the movie had their own ideas--Robin's Mercer-muttering and Shelley's "Ohh, deeear..." were homaging the cartoons, while Jules Pfeiffer's script was homaging the comic strip.

And, of course, 1980 audiences knew neither one of them, and it confused their poor lil' minds! :blink:

No doubt Harry Nilsson had a bit to do with that confusion. I hated the songs when I was younger, but they have grown on me since.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I picked up a copy at Walmart last night. Never seen it (was probably a little too young to see it theatrically), so it'll be a new experience.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Among the many problems i have with this movie is barely discernable dialog I know Popeye muttered throughout the cartoon but I think the rest of the cast was easy enough to understand.

I cant watch this movie without subtitles, Just about everyone is muttering and mumbling.
It really gives me a headache trying to follow along.

The set is amazing but you barely get a decent look at it and too much of the movie is filmed in the dark or at night.
It wouldnt have killed them to do a long overhead shot so we could see all of the set.

Anyway I just finished it and I guess thats gonna be it for me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
True enough. But many of these types of divisive movies suffer because some people dislike them for what they aren't more than for what they are. Meaning, they struggle to overcome their preconceptions of what the movie should be, and cannot accept what it is. I had that problem when I first saw Popeye back in 1980 -- I was expecting something based on the Fleischer cartoons rather than Segar's Thimble Theatre comic strip, which I was totally unfamiliar with. That was jarring enough that it ruined the movie for me. It took years for me to accept what it was doing and just go with it. But everyone's mileage may vary.

Um, no, some people just don't like it because they think it stinks, me being one of them. I had no preconceptions other than wanting to see a good movie, which is why I went to the opening night of the film at the Chinese. About half the audience had bolted within the first hour.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Um, no, some people just don't like it because they think it stinks, me being one of them. I had no preconceptions other than wanting to see a good movie, which is why I went to the opening night of the film at the Chinese. About half the audience had bolted within the first hour.

Um, yes, "some people" dislike movies for the exact reason that I stated. I pretty clearly didn't say "all people," so the fact that you think the movie stinks does not negate a word that I said. I even noted that everyone's mileage may vary.

If the fact that people left makes you feel better about yourself, then have at it. More than a dozen people left Pulp Fiction at the theatre where I saw it originally when John Travolta hit Uma Thurman with the adrenaline needle, but I would hardly say that proves that the movie stinks. About as many walked out of Requiem for a Dream when I first saw that one. I didn't let either occurrence dissuade me from buying both films on disc multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks