What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Who knew that George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez made a film together almost a quarter century ago? Did they recently get married?

This ancient Steven Soderbergh film, based upon the novel by Elmore Leonard, was shot on actual film, and has received a 4k image harvest, and looks terrific on Kino's new Ultra release via Universal.

It's also an interesting example of Anne Coates' cutting style. Her final feature was Fifty Shades of Grey in 2015, when she was 90. Margaret Booth, who began her career on Orphan of the Storm (1921), for a filmmaker born in Kentucky, was supervising editor on Annie. She was only 82 at that time, so Anne has her beat.

For those who may follow such things, there's a Kentucky link here.

Bottom line, Kino's Out of Sight is a lovely 4k release, with seemingly everything in its place.

It also remains a fun film.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
This is one of my favorite movies and I was very excited to get a 4k version. The increase in detail is not subtle.

However, for me personally, I have a hard time enjoying it because the colors are vastly different from the Bluray I am familiar with. I'm usually not that picky about changes to color timing but in this case I found the vividly saturated colors to be part of the film's personality and charm... and now it's very desaturated (at least by comparison) making it incredibly distracting.

Now I can't watch the bluray without missing the extra detail of the 4k though!

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Just fyi for fans, Soderbergh now has 4 titles available on 4K disc...

In addition to 'Out Of Sight' and 'Lucky Logan'...in France you can get 'The Limey' and 'Sex, Lies & Videotape' on 4K disc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wouldn't surprise me. Lopez seems to get engaged or married to every man that shows any bit of interest in her. The clock's ticking on the Affleck marriage, so she could move on to Clooney and make him "I Do (until I Don't)" number five in a couple years.
Don't think George and Amal are splitting any time soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is one of my favorite movies and I was very excited to get a 4k version. The increase in detail is not subtle.

However, for me personally, I have a hard time enjoying it because the colors are vastly different from the Bluray I am familiar with. I'm usually not that picky about changes to color timing but in this case I found the vividly saturated colors to be part of the film's personality and charm... and now it's very desaturated (at least by comparison) making it incredibly distracting.

I saw this movie a couple of times in a movie theater and my memory of it was that the colors were supposed to be de-saturated because most of the movie takes place in Detroit during the middle of winter. Anyhow, this 4K disc is next in my cue to view so I'll post my thoughts later on today.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I saw this movie a couple of times in a movie theater and my memory of it was that the colors were supposed to be de-saturated because most of the movie takes place in Detroit during the middle of winter. Anyhow, this 4K disc is next in my cue to view so I'll post my thoughts later on today.
Thank you, Robert, I look forward to your thoughts.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
So instead of posting thoughts on the actual disc some have taken to trashing one of the movie's stars. CLASSLESS.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Says the person who offers nothing about the disc, the movie, or the stars, but is just attacking the HTF membership in this and other threads. Pot, meet kettle.
I wasn't attacking anyone. I simply made an observation. I haven't purchased the disc as I was waiting for the review. Now that the review is out I will be making the purchase.

And YOU can go on staying mad! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

This afternoon I watched the 4K disc and the de-saturated Detroit sequences were exactly how I remembered they looked in a movie theater. I haven't compared the 2011 Blu-ray with this 4K disc, but I will briefly do so when I have some time. However, right now, I see nothing wrong with the video presentation. The 4K disc looked fantastic on my OLED. Anyhow, I'll pop in my 2011 Blu-ray to see if anything stands out, but this 4K/Dolby Vision presentation was very pleasing to my eyes.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
This afternoon I watched the 4K disc and the de-saturated Detroit sequences were exactly how I remembered they looked in a movie theater. I haven't compared the 2011 Blu-ray with this 4K disc, but I will briefly do so when I have some time. However, right now, I see nothing wrong with the video presentation. The 4K disc looked fantastic on my OLED. Anyhow, I'll pop in my 2011 Blu-ray to see if anything stands out, but this 4K/Dolby Vision presentation was very pleasing to my eyes.
The extra resolution was evident to me in both Florida and Detroit, but the HDR really made the Florida scenes stand out.

I don't own the DVD, but there is a brief establishing shot of the prison chapel at dusk near the beginning that is absolutely gorgeous. I'd be curious how it compares to the DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The extra resolution was evident to me in both Florida and Detroit, but the HDR really made the Florida scenes stand out.

I don't own the DVD, but there is a brief establishing shot of the prison chapel at dusk near the beginning that is absolutely gorgeous. I'd be curious how it compares to the DVD.
To the DVD or Blu-ray?

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I think the people out there complaining about the colors on this release (compared to the 1080 Blu) suffer from “it’s different so it must be wrong” syndrome. Blu-Ray discs aren’t reference materials, but often forums and some reviewers treat deviations from prior releases in color timing as errors when they’re often corrections.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I think the people out there complaining about the colors on this release (compared to the 1080 Blu) suffer from “it’s different so it must be wrong” syndrome. Blu-Ray discs aren’t reference materials, but often forums and some reviewers treat deviations from prior releases in color timing as errors when they’re often corrections.
When we get used to how something looks and it changes drastically (I mean it's not even close in this case) and the former looks (subjectively) much better, it's disappointing. If the UHD is correct then it's a shame the bluray was released looking the way it does. It was one of my demo discs for color.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Good movie. I have the new regular Blu-ray and previously had only seen this movie streaming. The new color timing does take a little while to get used to but it's good to know it's intentional, not my mind playing tricks on me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks