What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Old Ironsides -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When one looks closely at a list of Paramount silent productions, it becomes obvious how fragmented their preservation has been, over the decades.

Old Ironsides, a 1926 production, directed by James Cruze (The Covered Wagon) has survived however, in decent condition, and in 35mm. Kino's new Blu-ray is derived from preservation elements from the Library of Congress. I believe there may be an unpreserved print at GEH, in addition to elements held by the studio.

When it opened at the Rivoli in New York, the end of the first half of the film, just before the intermission, the normal screen was flown out, revealing a Magnascope image, for the first time. The difference was huge - going form 12 x 18 feet, to 30 x 40. The process continued to be used occasionally over the next couple of decades, inclusive, as I recall, for the storm sequence in Portrait of Jennie.

The overall quality of the new release is quite good, while the piano score used for the film is an adaptation of the original Hugo Riesenfeld orchestral score heard at the Rivoli.

The film features a young Wallace Beery, Charles Farrell (Vern Albright, of My Little Margie fame), Esther Ralston and George Bancroft.

Look really closely, and you may be able to pick up Boris Karloff and Gary Cooper among the extras.

Image - 3.25

Audio - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've experienced so many film formats from the past but never, alas, Magnascope. Old Ironsides, Wings, Portrait of Jennie...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I was lucky enough to see a Magnascope presentation of Portrait of Jenny at the first Nitrate Film Festival at George Eastman House - it was very impressive.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was lucky enough to see a Magnascope presentation of Portrait of Jenny at the first Nitrate Film Festival at George Eastman House - it was very impressive.
I'm impressively jealous! I did see Selznick's vault print of Jennie (35mm nitrate), but on a regular-sized screen.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When one looks closely at a list of Paramount silent productions, it becomes obvious how fragmented their preservation has been, over the decades.

Old Ironsides, a 1926 production, directed by James Cruze (The Covered Wagon) has survived however, in decent condition, and in 35mm. Kino's new Blu-ray is derived from preservation elements from the Library of Congress. I believe there may be an unpreserved print at GEH, in addition to elements held by the studio.

When it opened at the Rivoli in New York, the end of the first half of the film, just before the intermission, the normal screen was flown out, revealing a Magnascope image, for the first time. The difference was huge - going form 12 x 18 feet, to 30 x 40. The process continued to be used occasionally over the next couple of decades, inclusive, as I recall, for the storm sequence in Portrait of Jennie.

The overall quality of the new release is quite good, while the piano score used for the film is an adaptation of the original Hugo Riesenfeld orchestral score heard at the Rivoli.

The film features a young Wallace Beery, Charles Farrell (Vern Albright, of My Little Margie fame), Esther Ralston and George Bancroft.

Look really closely, and you may be able to pick up Boris Karloff and Gary Cooper among the extras.

Image - 3.25

Audio - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH
Was Wallace Beery ever young?

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
According to Leonard Maltin, the VHS release had a Gaylord Carter organ score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks