What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Octopussy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 8, 1999
Messages
13,608
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 13th film in the series, Octopussy, featuring Roger Moore in the role of Commander Bond, was the first, I believe, to be blown up to 70mm, featuring a six track magnetic stereo mix.

The 1983 film also falls short of what might be expected for this series, and the transfer shows a lack of respect for these cash cows.

The image is pretty, with nice color, but it hardly matters, as it has been digitally sharpened. I'm presuming the cinematographer Alan Hume, who also photographed A View to Kill for the series, had problems focusing, hence the digital aid.

Also mid-level Bond, it still would have been nice to see it with a quality image.

So far in new Bond releases, we're 3 for 3 on the negative side. Not good.

Image - 3

Audio - 5

RAH
 

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,392
Location
San Francisco, CA., USA
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
HTF reviewer MattH in his work-in-progress review of the "Bond 50" box set disagrees with you on this title, Robert...in fact, he says that the video transfer on this is of near-reference quality, giving it a qualitative rating of 4.5. I'm wondering right now which assessment to believe...
 

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
77
Real Name
Gerhard
"Octopussy" was the first movie I watched from the collection (because it is my least favourite of the Bonds :cool: ), and I agree completely with Mr. Harris. Projected I had a very uncomfortable "digital feeling" all the time... I was very astonished, that the reviews were good so far...
 

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
77
Real Name
Gerhard
Robert Harris said:
The 13th film in the series, Octopussy, featuring Roger Moore in the role of Commander Bond, was the first, I believe, to be blown up to 70mm, featuring a six track magnetic stereo mix.
As far as I remember the first 70MM blow up has been "You Only Live Twice". Am I wrong?
 

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
1,396
alter filmnarr said:
As far as I remember the first 70MM blow up has been "You Only Live Twice". Am I wrong?
I saw You Only LiveTwice at London's Odeon Leicester Sq during its premiere run. It was in 35mm optical. That does not mean of course that there was not a 70mm version somewhere but surely they would have availed themselves of that if it was available.
I think that Octopussy was the first 70 blow up.
 

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
77
Real Name
Gerhard
That's what the "in70mm.com" page says:
http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1967/index.htm
Japan...not bad!
 

DP 70

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
1,048
Real Name
Derek
I saw ran a 35mm 4-Track Stereo print of A Spy Who loved Me in London on release.
 

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 9, 2003
Messages
3,102
Gerhard, the third one he's referring to is Diamonds Are Forever.

I'm at this point thinking in terms of only picking up The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights on Blu out of the final nine. I already have the whole series in the UCE volumes on DVD. The Blu is just a nice bonus for me, and I have the rest of the movies I wanted already.

It's becoming quite evident that this set was put together quickly and cheaply just to get the titles out, and not in the best way possible.
 

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
77
Real Name
Gerhard
Thanks Kevin, but when I select the "a few words about..." Link I cannot find Mr.Harris' "DAF" review :confused:
Even the "Octopussy" thread did not appear a few minutes ago - strange... - could only find it with a "google" search.
 

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 9, 2003
Messages
3,102
I think the Diamonds Are Forever words may be out in the wider Blu-ray area.

Personally, I'm waiting for a few words about TSWLM and TLD....
 

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
180
Real Name
Brian
Robert Harris said:
I'm presuming the cinematographer Alan Hume, who also photographed A View to Kill for the series, had problems focusing, hence the digital aid.
It always felt to me that he deliberately softened/diffused some of the close-ups to make Roger Moore appear a bit younger! In a similar way to every time they flipped to the woman in TV’s Mission Impossible. One of those moments is when he meets Magda at the pool –playing a scene opposite a young, beautiful woman.
 

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
7,674
Location
Bothell, WA
Real Name
Jason
Or the way females were filmed on the original Star Trek. Probably makes sense for Trek and M:I to use that practice since they were both Desilu shows (at least for a while), IIRC.
 

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Joined
Oct 13, 2012
Messages
320
Location
Kitchener, Ontario
Real Name
M. Fox
I quite like this film and was pleased with the blu-ray. Yes the image has been sharpened, but is otherwise quite impressive and a significant upgrade from the UE DVD.
 

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
6,617
Kevin EK said:
Gerhard, the third one he's referring to is Diamonds Are Forever. I'm at this point thinking in terms of only picking up The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights on Blu out of the final nine. I already have the whole series in the UCE volumes on DVD. The Blu is just a nice bonus for me, and I have the rest of the movies I wanted already. It's becoming quite evident that this set was put together quickly and cheaply just to get the titles out, and not in the best way possible.
Using 2005 transfers to boot??
 

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
6,617
Mikey1969 said:
I quite like this film and was pleased with the blu-ray. Yes the image has been sharpened, but is otherwise quite impressive and a significant upgrade from the UE DVD.
Agreed. I'm watching on a 50" plasma panny. Issues must be more apparent at larger sizes???
 

robbiesreels

Agent
Joined
Jan 5, 2011
Messages
36
Real Name
Bob Hermann
I just watched Octopussy, (a Bond film that keeps getting better and better,) using my Optima 25e projector on a 9 foot screen and I was very impressed with the picture, but the Moonraker blu ray still looks the best of the Roger Moore Bonds.

On a side note does anybody remember the battle of the Bonds back in 1983, between Roger Moore (Octopussy, July) and Sean Connery (Never Say Never Again, October ) and which Bond film won the box-office battle
never-say-never-again.jpg


[color=#000000;font-family:Arial;font-size:11pt;] [/color]​
[color=#000000;font-family:Arial;font-size:11pt;][/color]​
[color=#000000;font-family:Arial;font-size:11pt;][/color]​
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
346,036
Messages
4,764,448
Members
141,646
Latest member
SmCaudata
Top