What's new

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
it is said that Gene Tierney was encouraged to start smoking when she entered films to lower her voice. She ended up dying from emphysema.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
as for smoking in classic films, ever think it was just the studios making that accommodation for a star that smoked, so that they didn't need a break in the shooting of a film.

Well Judy Garland smoked at the time she made the "The Wizard of Oz" . Dorothy didn't but supposedly they put a secret pocket in her pinafore to hold her cigarettes.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
It’s not a matter of “a decent HD transfer,” as there is nothing to properly transfer in full quality.

Longish film at 11,000 + feet, and in need of help. Expensive, but agree that it needs to be saved. Some decent talent involved.

Thanks - that's sort of what I expected, sadly.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Glad this is coming for those that want it. Given it's PD status, it was a long shot for restoration and release. But I recall watching this a while back after reading years of praise for the film about what a great, hilarious film it is, and being disappointed. A similar thing happened with Some Like It Hot. I guess classic comedy is just not my thing.
I recently attended a screening of the restored Twentieth Century at a college campus. You could have heard crickets. It might have been the misogynistic slant of the story or maybe the audience was expecting fart jokes.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Comedy is the most subjective of all film genres due to the uniqueness of our own sense of humor.

True, comedy would seem to be the most personal of genres. But, again, it's personal. I enjoy most comedy sub-genres (physical slapstick, purely verbal comedy (such as MY MAN GODFREY, with its very sophisticated characters and dialog), satire, farce, etc.) as long as (in my opinion) the specific titles are beautifully-crafted and well-written/acted/directed; yet even among those, there is a wide and completely subjective spread of opinion. It's not just comedy that sees this diversity. Horror films comprise another very subjective genre. I find slasher movies dull and offensive, and loud sonic "jump scares" piss me off, while slow-build, leave-things-to-the-imagination movies have a much better chance of sticking with me. Thrillers to me need to be largely character and dialog-driven, while big explosions and car chases have long-since ceased to impress me. I want to feel invested in the characters, and action alone does not provide that for me. Etc.

There isn't a movie in my collection of over 3000 Blu-rays and another 1500 DVD's (including even those so-bad-they're-very-entertaining sci-fi bombs) that I wouldn't expect to come back to in my future (which makes it hard to sell off parts of my collection when finances demand)...if I was to live another thirty years and not add another film to my shelves during that time :lol:.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We saw a broadway musical called “A Day in Hollywood, A Night in Ukraine” in New York City. People were literally rolling in the aisles and the place rocked with laughter. Six months later the show came to Toronto. We went again to a matinee filled with little old blue haired lady.

Crickets and dead silence! You could see the sweet on the foreheads of the actors. At intermission about 1/3 of the audience left.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
We saw a broadway musical called “A Day in Hollywood, A Night in Ukraine” in New York City. People were literally rolling in the aisles and the place rocked with laughter. Six months later the show came to Toronto. We went again to a matinee filled with little old blue haired lady.

Crickets and dead silence! You could see the sweet on the foreheads of the actors. At intermission about 1/3 of the audience left.
You didn't find it funny the second time?

---------------

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
16 or 17 a day? I suppose that's not too bad for a 34-year-old.
Whatever her age, she still looked great in that movie. Though she looked her absolute best in 'For Me and My Gal' and 'The Harvey Girls' .. and I suppose 'Meet Me in St Louis' (although she was already 50 when she made that one).

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
My favorite 1930s screwball comedy is 1939's Midnight with Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, Mary Astor and John Barrymore. One of the most hilariously funny movies ever made.

Some Like It Hot, It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and What's Up, Doc? are definitely amongst the great screwball comedies, as are the Bette Midler comedies Ruthless People and Big Business and the British comedy Blame It on the Bellboy which just came out on Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

If they left at intermission, they missed that marvelous Marx Bros.-inspired romp, the best part of the evening apart from "Famous Feet" in the first act.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks