What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Musicals 4-Movie Collection -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Enjoying a re-watch of Kiss Me Kate from this wonderful set. As probably everyone here knows, this is a very fun widescreen 3D musical that also works quite well in 2d (although when I caught in it in a theatrical revival a couple of years ago in 3D it knocked my socks off). This one has a good giggle rating for me.....The Cole Porter songs have a lot to do with that. The cast also seems to be having a lot of fun with it.

zoom_1430411710_Kiss-Me-Kate.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Enjoying a re-watch of Kiss Me Kate from this wonderful set. As probably everyone here knows, this is a very fun widescreen 3D musical that also works quite well in 2d (although when I caught in it in a theatrical revival a couple of years ago in 3D it knocked my socks off). This one has a good giggle rating for me.....The Cole Porter songs have a lot to do with that. The cast also seems to be having a lot of fun with it.

zoom_1430411710_Kiss-Me-Kate.jpg

Well, it's one of the great musicals!

Until this disc came along, most fans of the film had never had a chance to see it in 3D. That didn't stop most of us enjoying the film enormously.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
When I watched this in 3D recently on a friend's television there was a lot of "ghosting". It became very hard on the eyes. Just wondering if it is his set, or this is something other people have noticed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
1953 really was a good year for movies. Looking at wikipedia's alphabetical list for this year, there are the following favorites for me: The Band Wagon, The Big Heat, Calamity Jane, From Here to Eternity, Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, Houdini, House of Wax, I Confess, It Came From Outer Space, Julius Caesar, Kiss Me Kate, The Naked Spur, Niagara, Peter Pan, The Robe, Roman Holiday, Shane, Tokyo Story, and, I'm ashamed to say, my personal favorite from childhood and still probably my favorite—The War of the Worlds.

From this set The Band Wagon is also quite something. Although between Kiss me Kate and Band Wagon I think I lean slightly toward KMK because it's even funnier to me personally for some reason—although both of them are very amusing.

e24f1cac401790492b019c0d0f4fbc03.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When I watched this in 3D recently on a friend's television there was a lot of "ghosting". It became very hard on the eyes. Just wondering if it is his set, or this is something other people have noticed.
I just watched it a few weeks ago on my new set with passive 3D glasses, my first experience with 3D using the passive rather than the active shutter glasses. Stupendous 3D experience in passive. The opening credits extended far, far out into the room, much more pronounced than they were on my active plasma set.

However, I never had ghosting with either set, so I suspect it's the individual TV that's at fault.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I have a 3D TV and 3D projector - watch mostly on the projector. I have noticed on the few titles that have ghosting, if you turn down the contrast and/or brightness (set from vivid to normal), the ghosting is reduced or gone completely.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Try setting your player for 24 fps. That helped get rid of much ghosting on my plasma set.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Strange that they'd omit this. It's certainly better than the bizarre version the aging Joan Crawford did in the film Torch Song to the same audio prerecording; trying to be sexy while dancing awkwardly and in blackface, and climaxing by ripping off her wig and bugging her eyes wildly.

No, it's not included. I'm holding onto my DVD for that reason only.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Strange that they'd omit this. It's certainly better than the bizarre version the aging Joan Crawford did in the film Torch Song to the same audio prerecording; trying to be sexy while dancing awkwardly and in blackface, and climaxing by ripping off her wig and bugging her eyes wildly.

maxresdefault.jpg

crimescene.jpg
;)

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Interestingly, vocal double India Adams found Cyd Charisse quite "cold" to work with but found Joan Crawford to be very warm and personable. Adams is still around apparently, and still singing.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Interestingly, vocal double India Adams found Cyd Charisse quite "cold" to work with but found Joan Crawford to be very warm and personable. Adams is still around apparently, and still singing.
My high school Drama teacher worked with her when she was part of the opening of a Pepsi Bottling plant and said Ms. Crawford was the complete opposite and cited her as an example of how NOT to treat other people
70brpepsi12.jpg

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
It is possible that her cheerfulness was a temporary situation. She was finally free of her Warner Brothers contract and was making film deals independently. She was also filming her first film in color and probably felt some satisfaction in returning to her old stomping grounds at MGM as a free agent. Cyd for her part was still quite new to films at this point and was probably a little nervous and taking on her first lead role and opposite Fred Astaire. She also seemed like a fairly reserved person and never really had the big personality of someone like Ann Miller for example, and I can see how that could be interpreted as coldness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks