What's new

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to derail a bit, but there's a set of 6 fun early WB films that includes Dr. X and its sequel and is far cheaper than the double feature that was linked earlier in the thread. It's MOD, unfortunately, but the price is right around $24 as I write this post. I think I'm going to pick it up as I love the early Technicolor process, with all its faults. https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Legends-Horror-Collection-Provided/dp/B01L30SDMM/

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Sorry to derail a bit, but there's a set of 6 fun early WB films that includes Dr. X and its sequel and is far cheaper than the double feature that was linked earlier in the thread. It's MOD, unfortunately, but the price is right around $24 as I write this post. I think I'm going to pick it up as I love the early Technicolor process, with all its faults. https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Legends-Horror-Collection-Provided/dp/B01L30SDMM/

This is a very good set (which I have had since the original non-MOD)
and I wish it would come to Blu-ray.

I don't want to derail the "King of Jazz" topic, but it was the place that made me wonder about the Warner Brothers elements for the black & white version of 1932 "Doctor X". I would like to see that restored and put on Blu-ray.

Likely, I'm in a minority, but I have never seen a 2-Color Technicolor print/video/Blu-ray or other that I cared for --
The Red/Green combo never appealed to me, but I do have the Criterion "King of Jazz" in my Netflix Queue so that I can see what a restoration looks like and if it will change my opinion.

On the other hand, the 2-Color Red/Blue Trucolor of "Sunset in the West" really appealed to me. It's almost like a modern artistic choice for certain types of scenes. Before seeing the Kino Blu-ray of the Roy Rogers film, I had never experienced a non-faded view of the 2-Color Trucolor.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Likely, I'm in a minority, but I have never seen a 2-Color Technicolor print/video/Blu-ray or other that I cared for --
The Red/Green combo never appealed to me, but I do have the Criterion "King of Jazz" in my Netflix Queue so that I can see what a restoration looks like and if it will change my opinion.

I agree that it's a little jarring when compared to 3-strip Technicolor, but towards the end of its use, it's strengths and weaknesses were well known and talented cinematographers, set and costume designers had become fairly adept at exploiting those strengths so that the result was pleasing, if still not anything like what could eventually be accomplished with later color methods. Mystery of the Wax Museum, for example, looks pretty darned good.

I found a short, but interesting overview of the two-color process made by the George Eastman House.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mystery of the Wax Museum, for example, looks pretty darned good.

But not, unfortunately, on either DVD or blu-ray. Both versions use the same old, INTERLACED transfer with colors inauthentically pushed towards blue. Ironically enough, the Laser Disc (and even the VHS!) was more accurate.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
But not, unfortunately, on either DVD or blu-ray. Both versions use the same old, INTERLACED transfer with colors inauthentically pushed towards blue. Ironically enough, the Laser Disc (and even the VHS!) was more accurate.

Interesting. I did not know that. Off to eBay I go! Glad I still have a LD player. :)

Casey62

Agent
Real Name
Tony Crnkovich
Yup.

Even "Stumpy," from Rio Bravo was young-ish once.

Appearing in one of the quicky vignettes, you'll find Walter Brennan.

How about a Bing Crosby in what I believe to be his first film appearance?

Universal has done cinephiles a huge favor. A major studio supporting the restoration of a film that on its face has more historical than entertainment value.

But today's audiences discovered that the now 87 year-old production could be fun, as it toured the festival circuit.

Filmed in two-color (let's please not call it 2-strip, as it was a single strand of film, with two exposures for each frame (over/under), King of Jazz is a beautiful artifact of the end of that Technicolor era.

Generally, used sparingly, and usually for sequences, we'll put things in perspective.

In 1930, there appear to have been 29 films using the process, with 13 using it for sequences only.

Many don't survive, or survive partially, in black & white, or as discs only.

Bottom line, for those with a desire to experience the process, at least in full quality, King of Jazz is a rarity.

Warner's 1932 Doctor X, and 1933 Mystery of the Wax Museum have survived as release prints.

King of Jazz is substantially based upon camera negative, with portions from other elements.

Possibly because it was also rarely used at Universal, survival (by chance or luck) leaves us in good stead.

The earlier sequence from the 1925 Phantom of the Opera, survives as camera negative.

And if my sources are correct, it would not be until 1942 (with 3-strip) that the studio would again visit the technology with Arabian Nights, 1943 for Cobra Woman and the re-make of Phantom of the Opera and White Savage.

We can thank Criterion for licensing the project, and crating a superb Blu-ray, spine number 915, for those who keep track of such things.

For cinema fans, this is one of the early wonders.

Image - various - 4.5 - 5 for original material

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here's something you don't handle every day...

King of Jazz.jpg

Casey62

Agent
Real Name
Tony Crnkovich
For me, THE KING OF JAZZ is - first and foremost - a highly entertaining film, and I applaud its merits on that level. But its historical value is reason enough for this extensive restoration to have been undertaken.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I saw KING OF JAZZ at the American Film Institute shortly after the restoration was completed. It's quite entertaining, particularly when you know something about its history and creation. The AFI showing was presented by the film's restorers, who put on a pre-show slide show of the film's genesis. That will undoubtedly be recreated on the Criterion release. But for those who want more, a complete book has been released that goes into great detail on these matters:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Jazz-Wh...8&qid=1520455034&sr=1-1&keywords=King+of+Jazz

One of the book's authors, James Layton, is the narrator of the Eastman House Two-Color Technicolor short film posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks