What's new

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I know I am in a 1% minority, but, for me, the French blu ray of IRMA LA DOUCE has brighter colors with more contrast. I know the US blu ray is from a 4K OCN scan and yes it does look more like film...but looks looks less vibrant to me.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I don't know about the Kino, as I haven't started buying region A discs yet, but I looked at the French Blu-ray the other weekend & really enjoyed it. It might be a bit over noise-reduced, but it's sharp & very colourful, & even if the new 4K scan gets released in the UK, I think I'll stick with this one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm absolutely sure you're right. I really wanted to love this, you have no idea how much I wanted to love this. And yes, the French, while DNR'd to death, is absolutely sharper (perhaps artificial but this film was always very sharp) and the color seems better.

Much is dependent upon who oversaw the project, at what post facility, on what scanner, and the set up of said scanner.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
This is very disappointing, but the DVNR on the French disc makes it unwatchable. The new scan has no lollipop color or punch. I hate to say this but Indicator's new Footsteps in the Fog is also rather off tone, with a kind of gray undercoat. It's as though these two titles have come out of Sony as already graded with this particular LUT or parameter. I don't know how much further grading or color work Inidcator does after it gets the encode from Sony. But both of these are remarkably similar in the way they're just "off". I don't think you can put it down to David Mackenzie or James White.

EDITED Just to mention Footsteps was not a three strip film, although it was filmed 1955. But this looks not much look UK Tech release prints.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree with you. I would dearly love to see the show as a musical. Maybe one day someone will make a musical film of the show. I have a love/hate view of the film. Don't hate it but don't rave over it. I am a great fan of both McLaine and Lemmon,having seen both actors perform live on stage but IRMA was not Lemmon's finest hour. Unfortunately not all great Broadway musicals make it to film.ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY was brilliant on Broadway with Kevin Kline and Imogene Coco and all the songs were unforgettable. CARNIVAL was another classic musical with unforgettable music that was never filmed.CATS was eventually filmed on a studio set ,for home cinema (John Mill's final performance) but nearly forty years after it's stage premiere ,it is only just now about to be filmed . I guess there is always hope in be able to see other great musicals make it to film.

Don't get me started on stage musicals I would love to see filmed :) But since you brought it up, at the top of my list is the lovely 110 In The Shade (based on The Rainmaker) with a score by the guys who wrote The Fantasticks. And don't laugh and it will never happen but I love the score to the Tony winning musical Titanic and in my fantasy film world, that gets a big screen makeover and I agree on Carnival and how about the Burt Bacharach musical Promises Promises (a great score) and then there's Sondehim's Follies or ...... see what I mean about don't get me started :lol:

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Shirley MacLaine was quite beautiful back then....And using your remote to slow down some scenes, you can see that in a few cases she was close to fully nude

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don't get me started on stage musicals I would love to see filmed :) But since you brought it up, at the top of my list is the lovely 110 In The Shade (based on The Rainmaker) with a score by the guys who wrote The Fantasticks. And don't laugh and it will never happen but I love the score to the Tony winning musical Titanic and in my fantasy film world, that gets a big screen makeover and I agree on Carnival and how about the Burt Bacharach musical Promises Promises (a great score) and then there's Sondehim's Follies or ...... see what I mean about don't get me started :lol:

The film of the London production of Follies with Imelda Staunton played in the theatres here last year and was absolutely brilliant. I keep hoping it will be available on Blu ray.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The film of the London production of Follies with Imelda Staunton played in the theatres here last year and was absolutely brilliant. I keep hoping it will be available on Blu ray.
Unfortunately I've never seen those productions make it to BD. Staunton was also brilliant in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Her range is amazing. She can play Martha, terrify you, make you laugh and break your heart; and then sing and dance and break your heart as Sally in Follies.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I totally agree with you. I would dearly love to see the show as a musical. Maybe one day someone will make a musical film of the show. I have a love/hate view of the film. Don't hate it but don't rave over it. I am a great fan of both McLaine and Lemmon,having seen both actors perform live on stage but IRMA was not Lemmon's finest hour. Unfortunately not all great Broadway musicals make it to film.ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY was brilliant on Broadway with Kevin Kline and Imogene Coco and all the songs were unforgettable. CARNIVAL was another classic musical with unforgettable music that was never filmed.CATS was eventually filmed on a studio set ,for home cinema (John Mill's final performance) but nearly forty years after it's stage premiere ,it is only just now about to be filmed . I guess there is always hope in be able to see other great musicals make it to film.

Another badly missed filmed version of a fantastic stage show in BIG RIVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks