What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think there is a good chance of WAC releasing Gunga Din on blu? From my own observations on their releases, it seems unlikely, if only because it is a thirties movie. WAC has, in 5 years of releasing movies on blu and nearly 100 movies released on blu, releases only ONE movie from the thirties, and that was about 2.5 years ago. And as to what WAC has been doing recently, this year their overall output may have increased, but with two exceptions (Battleground and The Sea Wolf, both from the forties), EVERY release was of movies made in or after 1954. Obviously, I hope that situation will change soon, but so far nothing has come (and Criterion hasn't released any of Warner's thirties movies on blu yet, either).
Despite the fact that the Archive Blu-ray releases are weighted with newer titles due to the fact that older movies generally require more work, I still think Gunga Din is a pretty high profile title and will eventually get a release. WAC has been ramping up whereas Disney catalog Blus are pretty much on life support at this point. I’ll be buying a lot more Disney iTunes movies than I will be for Warner.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Father Goose (1964) is a blind buy for me but looks like I'll be enjoying it when it arrives ( and it will be a Christmas selection for the holidays).
I remember reading an account of an actual Coastwatcher operation in the South Pacific during WWII (book: Combat, The War With Japan, long OOP). That knowledge will make this film even more interesting.

Oh and I'm holding off on the re-release of Operation Petticoat (1959) till I read the reviews on the Blu-ray quality. I already own the previous Blu release.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Father Goose (1964) is a blind buy for me but looks like I'll be enjoying it when it arrives ( and it will be a Christmas selection for the holidays).
I remember reading an account of an actual Coastwatcher operation in the South Pacific during WWII (book: Combat, The War With Japan, long OOP). That knowledge will make this film even more interesting.

Oh and I'm holding off on the re-release of Operation Petticoat (1959) till I read the reviews on the Blu-ray quality. I already own the previous Blu release.

Walter Lord (author of A Night to Remember, Day of Infamy, Incredible Victory and others) wrote an excellent book about the coastwatchers of the Solomons called Lonely Vigil. It's been reissued in paperback.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Despite the fact that the Archive Blu-ray releases are weighted with newer titles due to the fact that older movies generally require more work, I still think Gunga Din is a pretty high profile title and will eventually get a release. WAC has been ramping up whereas Disney catalog Blus are pretty much on life support at this point. I’ll be buying a lot more Disney iTunes movies than I will be for Warner.
I do agree that it has a shot, as I just can't see WAC completely abandoning 30s films. That being said, I can only imagine a lot of the film elements for all the Warner-owned movies of that decade must be in bad shape if we aren't even getting any of the more obscure films from that decade which would, presumably, be in better shape than the more popular films. My main concern about it is that WAC has at least been steadily releasing movies for the forties (even this year if we include the Criterion releases) and beyond, but with only one thirties film in five years, and oh so many high profile titles still missing (as you can generally see from all the various wish lists that keep popping up), who knows how soon it will be available.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It may just be that Warner Archive believe that films from the 1930s will not sell as well as films from the 1950s.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A few days ago, Amazon was showing a Nov 28 release date for Father Goose and Operation Petticoat. My order for them shows them as "arriving Tuesday" but the detail page for each now shows "Currently unavailable".

Anyone know if there is an additional delay, or did Amazon simply run out of its initial allocation?

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It may just be that Warner Archive believe that films from the 1930s will not sell as well as films from the 1950s.

They may also require more work to achieve the "perfection" standard that Warner Archive has for BD releases -- remember that they have very high standards, and will choose not to release something rather than to put out something that has imperfections. I don't always agree with this point of view, but that's how they operate.

For Gunga Din specifically, it's an RKO picture, and it's been previously reported that most of the RKO library is in pretty rough shape and would require expensive restoration work to achieve that perfection standard. I would personally settle for an imperfect but high resolution scan of whatever the best available element is, with whatever minor dirt and scratch cleanup that Warner can do cost effectively, but again, that's not how they do things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few days ago, Amazon was showing a Nov 28 release date for Father Goose and Operation Petticoat. My order for them shows them as "arriving Tuesday" but the detail page for each now shows "Currently unavailable".

Anyone know if there is an additional delay, or did Amazon simply run out of its initial allocation?

Mark
Has your order actually shipped? If not then perhaps these titles are delayed again.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Video seems similar to the previous Blu release (which I also have). Bought it for the extensive extras, which are excellent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've now been able to peruse the newly replaced version of Olive's Father Goose, and am finding that my problem is very much with the concept of a restored 4k scan.

The film remains not fully restored, and that's a problem for me.

It won't be for most of this films' audience.

So that while my rating remains, as this is an incomplete restoration, this is a delightful film, that will film the needs of anyone who adds it to their library.

Simply put, I'm probably the wrong reviewer to be commenting on this release.

And it all comes down to the improper use of the word "Restoration."

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've now been able to peruse the newly replaced version of Olive's Father Goose, and am finding that my problem is very much with the concept of a restored 4k scan.

The film remains not fully restored, and that's a problem for me.

It won't be for most of this films' audience.

So that while my rating remains, as this is an incomplete restoration, this is a delightful film, that will film the needs of anyone who adds it to their library.

Simply put, I'm probably the wrong reviewer to be commenting on this release.

And it all comes down to the improper use of the word "Restoration."

RAH
Well, it's understandable that you would have a problem with this release and Olive's liberal use of of the word "Restoration" and their actual process in producing this disc. I'm buying it for the bonus material and with the hope it's a better presentation than the first BD release.

Alberto_D

BANNED
The infamous encoding error :

16215_25_1080p.jpg

Alberto_D

BANNED
It was a bit humor of mine. I used the word infamous since it delayed the release.

Just for curiosity... What is the problem for this 4k to not be considered a restoration ?
No production of new 35mm YCM safety preservation masters from the digitally cleaned-up 4K file?
No restoration of deleted scenes ?

Hardly “infamous.”

Merely an encoding error.

Which Olive corrected.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It was a bit humor of mine. I used the word infamous since it delayed the release.

Just for curiosity... What is the problem for this 4k to not be considered a restoration ?
No production of new 35mm YCM safety preservation masters from the digitally cleaned-up 4K file?
No restoration of deleted scenes ?

It’s a dirty movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks