What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Detective Story – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
William Wyler's 1951 Detective Story is a quite extraordinary film that I'm happy is finally getting a better than decent release on Blu-ray.

Great cast - Kirk Douglas, Eleanor Parker, William Bender, Cathy O'Donnell, Lee Grant (who celebrated her 97th birthday on Halloween), and look for The Maltese Falcon's Gladys George.

Photographed by the great Lee Garmes in beautiful black & white.

Kino's new Blu-ray, courtesy of Paramount appears pretty much what one might presume an unrestored film from the early '50 might look like.

It seems to be from an older fine grain, with both positive and negative "age-related artifacts."

Nothing untoward, and rather in keeping with what one might find at a revival house. It's far better than okay.

Contrast, black levels and grain structure seem comfortable.

A film that deserves a home in every serious library.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your comments. I think this Kino Blu-ray is derived from the same scan used for the 2020 Imprint Blu-ray. I have that Blu-ray and see no reason to double-dip despite my affection for this movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As one who decades ago used to watch old movies in revival houses, I'd have hoped for something a lot better than the prints I often had to put up with. I like this film a lot and I'd love an immaculate presentation. I'm disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks