What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deadline - U.S.A -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always considered Richard Brooks to be one of the most literary of the American film directors, and Deadline - U.S.A. falls nicely into his pantheon or work.

A superb cast, inclusive of Humphrey Bogart, Ethel Barrymore, Kim Hunter and Ed Begley, highlight this tale of a crusading newspaper reporter's quest, as the paper shutters around him.

Fox's HD master for the film, as released by Kino Lorber, is a beautiful representation of the film, and Milton Krasner's black & white cinematography.

A must-have, especially in the condition this one is being offered.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Really good movie, and an underseen, underappreciated one. A slightly different side of Bogart.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Can't wait for this one - have had it on pre-order since they announced it. So happy to hear that it's a quality transfer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Really good movie, and an underseen, underappreciated one. A slightly different side of Bogart.
Yeah, I have the Region B Blu-ray release, but bought it again because I love this movie and it has a Eddie Muller commentary. Reading about the excellent PQ just re-enforces that decision.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah, I have the Region B Blu-ray release, but bought it again because I love this movie and it has a Eddie Muller commentary. Reading about the excellent PQ just re-enforces that decision.
I would appreciate it if you can tell us about the PQ of the Region B and the Region A.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Pre-ordered - can't wait for it to arrive, though I think it's a late July release so there might be a little bit of waiting.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to RAH for the comments.

Can someone who has the R1 disc confirm whether or not SDH are included? Another thread indicated that Kino didn't include them in the Ox-Bow BD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would appreciate it if you can tell us about the PQ of the Region B and the Region A.
I think the presentations are similar with a slight edge to Kino's release as far as video presentation. However, I listened to the excellent Eddie Muller audio commentary on the Kino release was very enlightening and thus, worth the double dip for me.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
One of Eddie Muller best commentaries - in fact, I'm tempted to say it's worth the price of admission alone.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched the movie (but haven't heard the commentary yet). I really enjoyed getting to see Bogart as a newspaperman (I don't think I had ever seen him quite like this before). I was also really impressed at the picture quality on the disc, I was expecting it to be good, but this was outstanding.

I'd love to see the Richard Brooks-Humphrey Bogart collaboration Battle Circus remastered in HD one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks