What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Dance Fools, Dance -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Finding a film produced in 1930 for which the camera negative survives is a rarity, but Harry Beaumont's Dance Fools, Dance is just such an example.

Seeing Charles Rosher's cinematography almost a hundred years later, scanned directly from the film that ran through his camera is a very special experience.

Blacks are solid, whites glisten, and every bit of image in-between is precisely as it should be.

As an early pre-code Joan Crawford film, it's also of interest because her persona was not yet perfected. Clark Gable is in a secondary role. Interestingly, as an early talkie, it still has that early feel to it.

While not one of the great films, there's enough meat here to be a worthwhile addition to serious collections.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 6.5

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can’t get over how good this film looks. I never expected and MGM film from 1931 to look this pristine. I hope A Free Soul….another 1931 MGM film with Gable in a gangster role…..gets similar treatment in the future.
That would all begin with the answer to a question.

Does the OCN survive?

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
That would all begin with the answer to a question.

Does the OCN survive?
Very true. I would expect the answer to be “no.” Of course, I would have expected the same thing of Dance, Fools, Dance if someone had asked me a couple months ago. I know the survival rate is low for MGM films of this period.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Watched this over the weekend and all I have to say is that it looks spectacular! Hard to believe it's almost 93 years old. Another stellar job by WBMPI.

Even though Gable's role is small it's a standout among the male performers. That scene where he blows smoke in Natalie Moorhead's face is a classic. And Mr. Harris, I agree with your assessment that the Crawford "persona" was not fully developed yet, but I believe it was by the end of the year when she starred in Possessed with Gable as her costar. So, 1931 was a good year of professional growth for both stars.

Fun film that moves fairly briskly. Highly recommended.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As an early pre-code Joan Crawford film, it's also of interest because her persona was not yet perfected. Clark Gable is in a secondary role. Interestingly, as an early talkie, it still has that early feel to it.

Yeah, I mentioned in my review that Crawford still acts like she's in a silent movie. Much more broad performance that I expect from talkies, though it was so early in that era that she's not the only one who struggled to adapt.

On the other hand, Gable gives a much more natural performance and already feels like the Clark Gable we'd come to know and love.

My theory? Because Gable had few real acting parts in the silent era, he had no habits to unlearn.

On the other hand, Crawford had to actually act in a lot of her movies, so she needed to change styles. Just took her some time, I guess.

Yeah, I mentioned in my review that Crawford still acts like she's in a silent movie. Much more broad performance that I expect from talkies, though it was so early in that era that she's not the only one who struggled to adapt.

On the other hand, Gable gives a much more natural performance and already feels like the Clark Gable we'd come to know and love.

My theory? Because Gable had few real acting parts in the silent era, he had no habits to unlearn.

On the other hand, Crawford had to actually act in a lot of her movies, so she needed to change styles. Just took her some time, I guess.
Colin, Joan would quickly nail it by the end of 1931 with "Possessed" (1931). I love most of her movies from 1930 until late 1934. But the code kicks in and MGM starts regulating her to fluff.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Colin, Joan would quickly nail it by the end of 1931 with "Possessed" (1931). I love most of her movies from 1930 until late 1934. But the code kicks in and MGM starts regulating her to fluff.
I’ve been enjoying Crawford’s work via WAC. Do you have a favourite from what’s not been released you’re looking forward to them getting to?

Reactions: PMF

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I’ve been enjoying Crawford’s work via WAC. Do you have a favourite from what’s not been released you’re looking forward to them getting to?
Matthew, I know you're not asking me this question, but I've been enjoying these releases, also. Three I would like to see are the two pre-codes Possessed (1931), Dancing Lady (1933) and the later release Humoresque (1946).

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Matthew, I know you're not asking me this question, but I've been enjoying these releases, also. Three I would like to see are the two pre-codes Possessed (1931), Dancing Lady (1933) and the later release Humoresque (1946).
I love Humoresque! I hope it’s on the slate soon.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just discovered this review, today.

Okay, let’s just say that finding an OCN to any film from 1930 is an attention grabber for me. A blind buy is not even a phrase that is applicable, as it is mine eyes that shall be basking in a visual education. And yet, when one throws into the same offering a study of Crawford’s acting styles transitioning from Silent to Sound - and Gable’s earliest foray into cinematic legend - well…a few words may not be enough. Action taken and BD now purchased.

Nice work, WAC!!!

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The one I want most from her Warner years is Goodbye, My Fancy. She and Eve Arden are sensational together again, I enjoy the two men fighting over her (Robert Young, Frank Lovejoy: it doesn't end the way you think), and the supporting cast at the college is memorable, too.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The one I want most from her Warner years is Goodbye, My Fancy. She and Eve Arden are sensational together again, I enjoy the two men fighting over her (Robert Young, Frank Lovejoy: it doesn't end the way you think), and the supporting cast at the college is memorable, too.
You mean Crawford ditches the men and runs off with Arden? ;)

My top 2 Crawford not yet released on Blu have go to be "Humoresque" and "A Woman's Face". Of her early 30s, I would love to see a restored "Possessed" (1931) and I'm praying "Letty Lynton" is released once the copyright expires in the next year!:)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My top 2 Crawford not yet released on Blu have go to be "Humoresque" and "A Woman's Face". Of her early 30s, I would love to see a restored "Possessed" (1931) and I'm praying "Letty Lynton" is released once the copyright expires in the next year!:)
It's the play, "Dishonored Lady" (1930), that MGM was found guilty of plagiarism, that will be 95 years old in 2025 and so will be in the public domain on January 1, 2026 that should allow "Letty Lynton" to be released . The film itself will go into public domain 2 years later as it was released in 1932. That gives the Warner Archive up to 2 years before anyone can put "Letty Lynton" on disc or stream it without paying Warner Bros. I wonder if the film has been worked on so that it would be ready for release when the Archive can do so without paying 1/5 the profits to the estate(s) of the playwright(s). I could see it being a film premiere at the 2026 TCM Festival and then being broadcast on TCM. Hopefully, in advance of a TCM cable broadcast, it will be released on disc by the Archive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks