What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ China Moon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cinematographer, John Bailey, turned to direction in 1994, for China Moon, an interesting little film, that many felt was too derivative of the swelteringly sexual and nourish, Body Heat, to capture one's attention.

While it does immediately bring to mind, the earlier, film, without all of the swelter, it does stand on its own as an interesting thriller / police procedural, with some quality performances, from Ed Harris and Madeleine Stowe.

Behind the leads are an extremely young Benicio Del Toro, and the wonderful Charles Dance, here required to perform with a southern accent, presumably because no American actors were available. Using his natural accent, I found his work stunning in Bleak House, a 2005 adaptation of Dickens for there BBC.

There are enough twists and turns in China Moon to keep the viewer off balance, and the film moving at a rapid pace.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray is a high quality release, from a master produced by MGM. As far as I can tell all is well, and as Mr. Bailey and editor Carol Littleton provide a worthy commentary track, one would presume that they viewed the new master, and approved.

Setting Body Heat aside, worthy of 99 minutes of your time.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you.

I have to admit I'd never heard of this film until now! I like Body Heat a lot and I never had any time for those sneers that it was a rip-off of Double Indemnity. If China Moon mines a similar vein, I'm interested.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I thoroughly enjoyed China Moon. Well worth your time, Benecio Del Toro steals all the scenes he's in.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As familiar as the title seemed, I, too, knew nothing about this film. I'll be happy to make its acquaintance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks